Thread: Grad school
View Single Post
Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 05-12-2019, 12:52 PM

I have my Master's Degree in Music. (and a Bachelor in Music Education). I understand your concerns with your theatre degree. It's not a vague degree. Degrees like yours and mine are VERY specific. So if I ever wanted to go into a different career I'm not sure my music education and music degree would help me land a job in a different field.

I would honestly recommend doing Grad school to anyone who really loves to learn in a school setting. However, I wouldn't recommend it if you are on the fence to be honest. A lot of grad school is more independent than under-grad. My husband told me he would never do grad-school because he just isn't a school person...he has never liked going to school. And the fact that he had to watch ME set my pace and complete assignments without any help (I was still teaching full-time while getting my degree so it's not like I could go with classmates and do homework together after classes)...he was like "Hell no...I'd never put myself through that."

But if you are looking to get into a specific career such as editing and you don't think your theatre degree will help you, it may be worth looking into. I have loans from my Master's that I'm paying off but to me it was worth it. If it helps you land a good job so that you can get out of your toxic environment of home...it may be worth it to do 2 years and take on a couple of loans.