Thread: Stuck together
View Single Post
maidenroseheart
Can I please come down? ~Simple Plan's song "Astronaut"

Old 07-07-2012, 08:03 AM

She stopped surprised when he turned to glare at her. His retort was somewhat valid and she felt kinda bad for it. Her stubborn self didn't like that too much. He was the jerk, even if he was being nice right now. Her mother always said if you had nothing good to say, to keep your trap shut. She could always follow that policy. But then he would get upset at her for the cold shoulder she was sure to enjoy giving. She sighed and kept drudging forward, listening to him talk about being a nurse.

Something was off though. Jane looked up at Ben and started measuring with her eyes how long it took him to get from one point to another. After a few minutes, she wondered if maybe he wasn't slowing down a bit. So much for his bravado. True they were hiking in the mountains, but they were going downhill and the forest was rather calm and peaceful to her. Still, the fact remained. He was a bit slower in his pace. Then he asked her where she was at. She wasn't sure she was going to bother to answer, except then he looked back at her. Damn heart sped up like it always did under his gaze. She had to answer to hide her flustered self. Why in the world hadn't she gotten over him yet? "Well, I'm a historical researcher like I have wanted. Well, working with history like I wanted. Could think of a few jobs that uses my degree that I would prefer." She eyed him, he was really slowly down.

Biting her lip for a moment, she considered passing him and walking fast on ahead. Very tempting. It would show him up that she was better off than he. Instead, she slowly said, "Um, since you are in a nice mood and all, could we stop for a bit. I think I could use a rest. Maybe hurt myself a bit more than I thought in the crash." Okay, so she was stalling. He needed a rest and she might as well take the hit for being the reason they stopped. Though it killed her to ask a favor of him. She kept her chin up and face closed of any emotion. And the bruise on the side of her rib cage was aching a little, so showing some pain because of that wouldn't be hard if she needed to push it.