View Single Post
Inzanebraned
(^._.^)ノ

Old 03-20-2016, 07:21 PM

Hey...I just stumbled onto this thread...
I think this is a great way to keep one's self motivated and accountable when it comes to keeping a tidy abode!
And the before and after picture idea is a great idea, also...having a physical image of the progress one has made can really boost the self confidence and pride in a job well done...a job that nobody else did but YOU!

If I didn't live with my BF, I would probably be a Neat Freak, keeping everything organized and having a proper place for everything...
But, the BF is...a SLOB!
He has no ability to put anything back where he got it from...even the peanut butter jar gets left on the counter, only a foot away from where it belongs, along with the crumbs that were created when he made himself a sandwich (and ONLY him a sandwich, btw!).
I have developed a system where, if I am headed to the other side of the house, I try to take notice of any things I might be able to pick up along the way, to be deposited in their proper places...then I do the same thing on the return trip.
This keeps me from making numerous trips to put things away...getting the majority of it all in just a couple passes through the house.
My 3 year old granddaughter also lives with me, so the quantity of disarray has more than doubled...keeping me busy trying to keep a clear path to walk in.
I horde strange stuff that is difficult to part with...an ongoing skulls collection, my kids's school paintings and report cards, concert ticket stubs...but I totally enjoy organizing stuff and keeping things tidy...I call it Tetris-izing! Lol!
But, when it comes to actual CLEANING, I procrastinate until it becomes unavoidable!
It's bad enough that I have no dishwasher and standing at the sink to wash dishes leaves my back aching...
And the fact that I wash nearly 85 percent of our dirty laundry, by hand, in a bucket in the bathtub...
When it comes to things like washing walls and cleaning the toilet...I have a hard time finding the desire to muster up the energy!
We use well water, and it leaves mineral deposits in the toilet...making it look dirty....
I recently discovered that if I dump a goodly amount of vinegar into the toilet and let it sit for a while, the ugly mineral stains brush right off!
That makes that chore just a little easier and less time consuming, at least!
The only room in our house that isn't covered with carpet is the bathroom...so it is fortunate that I enjoy vacuuming...
I vacuum nearly every day...due to the grandkid dropping crumbs and the fact that we have a cat that sheds EVERYWHERE!
My favorite cleaning chores are folding laundry and vacuuming...and if I weren't stuck at home, caring for my adult, disabled daughter, I would hire myself out to other folks who don't like to do laundry and vacuuming!
But, my place seems to be at home...picking up after my own folks! Lol!

(I actually enjoyed reading this whole thread, btw...I can see where this journal has helped you to make some routines that help you continue to make progress. Cool beans!!)