View Single Post
Penny
*^_^*

Old 12-09-2007, 01:14 AM

“Well… the leader says we’re to let go of our names we have now. He says we’re to get new names when all that stuff falls from the sky. He just gives us numbers for now. He says names hold us back from what we’re supposed to be.”
“Coded, counted and numbered…” says Fish.
“Relax a little. You are welcome here. Here we call each other by name.” He is genuinely disturbed by the idea of numbers for names.
“What will you be called, little wander-girl?” says Fish.
“I should rather be called by a boys name I think… but I can’t think of any that sound right. What are your names?”
“You may call me Em.”
“Like the letter?”
“Yes, exactly like the letter, lovely.”
“And Em calls me Fish.”
“But what is your name?” asks the girl. Fish sidesteps the question.
“What is yours?” she asks. The girl thinks for a moment.
“Em calls me lovely. You may call me Love.”
Fish cocks her head “, it fits,” she says.
“Well, Love,” says Em “, now that we’re all warm and introduced, why don’t we go do something worth talking about.” He and Fish begin walking toward where she came.
“What are you two talking about? Where are you going and… and… who are you?”
Em turns and smiles. Fish scowls. So does the girl. Love catches up with them.
“What are you doing? All those people are boring. Won’t you just sit with me and talk? I’d love to just talk.”
“What good is just talking?”
“I don’t know. It’s just good for keeping things straight. Em? Right?” Em nods. They don’t stop walking.
“Let’s talk about something worth doing then, Love,” says Em “, I am to understand you’re… flexible.”
“I don’t know what you’re talking about. And I don’t think I want to,” says Love. Fish snorts. They reach the boulder Love began at. “And why are we back up here?” she speaks softly.
“It’s not everyday one gets to look at so many people,” says Em.
“Here people with a path, here people giving paths,” says Fish.
“Why do you talk like that?”
“Talk how and what, Love?” says Fish.
“Like that…” says Love hesitantly.
“We come from futures and to pasts.”
“Don’t you ever just say what you mean?”
“Always.”
“Well it’s not very clear,” says Love, crossing her arms. Fish and Em laugh. Love puts her finger to her lips.