View Single Post
Nephila
The Serpent Bride

Penpal

Old 02-13-2017, 09:58 PM

Let's see.

Every year since I was 13 I've been going to this local SciFi convention called Keycon. I skipped a few years in 2008-2009 because of a divorce. For the 2010 year I was pretty much ready to have fun again however, after all the crazy that happened before I wasn't really looking for a new bf.

This con is known as a party con. Yes there are vendors and panels like a normal convention but what really sets it a part is the 15th floor where there are theme rooms serving drink and hosting games.

With that bit of background out of the way. Here we go. It was super easy to get drinks that year, "new" single geek girl on the scene sort of deal. Most of the chaps were laughable with how they approached me. A lot of them were down right rude. The worst pick up line being... "You have perfect tits and I have perfect teeth we should see how they work together" ...eww! I can't even. I got tired of listening to the reasons why I should give these kids a chance and took my ass to the dance floor on level 12 where most of the other women were at the time.

It was great for a few songs. Except I started feeling sick from all the drink the other guys had been forcing on me that night. I exited the hall and literally bumped into him. I saw him before during other years of the con so I stopped to say hi. I was super wobbly at the time, being as drunk as I was. I fell/stumbled to the ground. He took one look at me and picked me up and plopped me onto a near by chair and flashes a light in my eyes. (He's a security guard so I guess his training took over and he was checking to see if I was more than drunk)

I started passing out and he got me to take some kind of medicine. He spent the rest of the night keeping the vultures away from me, (guys looking for girls to take advantage of) and made sure I got a WHOLE lot of water. He talked to me for hours while I was in that state and treated me like he was my brother. - My mom and dad also attend this convention and mom came looking for me like around 6am in the morning because I didn't go back to the hotel room. We were still chatting at that point and I was feeling a whole lot better.

Mom and I went back to the room and I had a nap until 10AM when the practice round of Rocky Horror Picture Show singalong was happening on floor 15. I must have told him sometime during the night that that's where I'd be. He smiled and waved me over and we sung our geeky hearts out. It was amazing. We pretty much spent the rest of the con together laughing at Star Trek blooper reals and playing various games in the game room. And Talking about World of Warcraft.

I felt safe with him, and people (the vulture guys in particular) just started assuming we were bf and gf and didn't bother me the rest of the convention. Which was super nice. When it came time to go home on Monday morning we swapped numbers and he asked if I'd like to go for coffee or meet up for some D&D sometime and I was like...so like date coffee & D&D Or friends coffee& D&D? He never got the chance to answer cuz one of our now friends chimed in "Chris you lucky fucker get over here and halp with the luggage!"

About a week after the con we had already gone on a couple of dates. -though I guess spending a whole day with someone at a place you already both love was like 10 dates in one. He took me to Lilith's swimming lessons and cheered her on while she did laps.

To be honest, Lilith fell in love with him before I did. He had treated her like a daughter more than her own dad. She's always been a sassy little thing and her exact words after he dropped us off for the first time were "This new daddy is better than the last one, we should keep him." I was just like...kid! WHOA! WHAT!? I never said he was or even suggested he would ever be anything at that point. In fact he was one of "mommy's friend"

Children are so much smarter than we give them credit for she saw it right away that we liked each other more than friends. XD It took about a month after we meet before we were going steady. Not long after that for the love word to come into it. This year is going to be our 7th year now. :D Even though it's not the official starting date we always celebrate our anniversary at the same convention. :)