View Single Post
p o p p e t ♥
a whisper in the wind

Penpal

Old 07-11-2014, 07:35 PM

The one who called himself Bez, also called Jackson by name, and was handing his phone off to the boy. With glimpses of the pair in the light as they spoke, Erin decided to believe them, especially since they both seemed to know Jackson, and he seemed to like them. He even seemed less scared with the pair here.

"I'm okay, thanks," she said to the one calling himself Alec. She wasn't rushing anyone out, and that was a good sign. Mostly, she was a little scared after everything that had happened, and was glad to have other people here. "Oh, well I'm Jackson's babysitter. I'm Erin Jay McDobb."

Most people wouldn't state their middle name, but Erin always did. She hardly recognized it as a middle name at all, but more of an extension of her first name. Her parents had always called her Erin Jay. Her best friends even called her EJ. As far as she was really concerned, she didn't have a middle name.

"I just moved here," she said, explaining why they may not have ever seen her around before. Jackson was already following along behind Alec as he headed for the generator, and she followed behind him, not chancing a fall by glancing over her shoulder to see if Bez was following.

She furrowed her brow. "They were worried?" she asked. "But, they would have called me...", she mumbled, trying to make sense of that. And of course they would. Who would send someone over with a baby sitter, without letting the baby sitter know to expect someone?

By now, they'd have to know that Erin didn't actually call the police, since of course, no police had arrived. Not to mention, the power was out, and she clearly wasn't carrying a cell phone. As they neared the kitchen, Erin broke off from the group. "Go ahead," she said, "I'm just going to grab some matches or a candle or something for more light to help you work, Bez."

She was glad they'd come, for whatever reason they had, because Jackson seemed much less scared with them here. And, if they could get the power back on, that was a real plus. Besides, Erin didn't really feel all that comfortable here by herself either.

She watched the light from the cell phone disappear around the next corner, and felt her way down the counter. She opened up a drawer and felt her way through it. Nothing felt like a lighter, or a box of matches, just other miscellaneous object. Maybe a wine bottle opener, a pack of sticky notes, some chip clips, a pair of scissors...

Erin continued through two more drawers before finally finding a tiny box. She shook it and heard the sound of the little wooden matches rattling around inside. Awesome! She pushed the box open with her finger and fished a match out, striking it against the side of the box. Then she'd look for a candle.

But, the match didn't light. She tried again, and then once more. She was really bad at this. After a moment, Erin stopped. Was that the sound of breathing? It wasn't her breathing. "Who came back?" she asked. But no one responded. She struck the match again. Nothing. "Jackson? Alec? Bez?" Still no response.

She could feel it now, on the back of her neck, and it made her skin crawl. Instantly she moved away, and with her hands out, felt her way out of the kitchen and into the hall. She put her back to it and realized she was breathing hard, a little panicked. There was definitely someone or something else in this house besides the four of them.

Erin looked in every direction, just as lightning lit the area. Which way had they all gone? She knew the general direction. Erin tried to strike the match again, and finally it lit. This would just have to do. And hopefully it would at least make her down the hall before going out.