Thread: "Transracial"?
View Single Post
monstahh`
faerie graveyard

Old 11-26-2017, 10:46 AM

Dreads were actually developed much earlier than that from what I'm told. The Celtic people had dreads, Native americans had dreads, etc.

So while I know it has roots in other cultures as well, most people just think 'black hair' today, and generally, especially black people with dreads get discriminated against for hiring (especially in right to work states). So I just feel like at least right now its not an appropriate time to wear dreads. We first need to make sure our black brothers and sisters can wear them without stigma, IMO.
Remember when everyone started dying their hair and their was a huge issue with people getting hired because of that? That changed because people basically said, fuck you i'll find a job elsewhere, and they did because more businesses relaxed their dress codes. But some left in the clauses about dreads or natural hair. Which I think is incredibly unfair. White people dye their hair funny colors all the time now and its rare to see them declined for a job. Hell I've seen TV anchors with purple in their hair recently. o-O
But no one with dreads... [thinking]