View Single Post
fishyfey
*^_^*

Old 03-01-2012, 04:17 AM

Henry sat alone in the restaurant, nervously fiddling with a white rose. Long distance relationships seldom went well, but Henry didn’t care. Sheila and he were different. They could beat the odds.

The two met online and corresponded by email, telling each other their fears (she slept with a night light, he was claustrophobic) and dreams (she wanted a family, so did he.) They were compatible and complimented each other’s strengths and weaknesses.

They talked on the phone when the night was darkest and Sheila’s fears were at their worst. She talked him out of climbing the stairs up fifty-two floors and arriving at his meeting a sweaty mess. Instead her voice guided him through the terrifying elevator ride up, keeping the walls from closing in on him.

Sheila had a funny way of reassuring Henry. Always saying, “I know you will be ok. It’s not your time just yet. Breath, count to three, exhale. Its ok.” Henry did, and found that she was right. Things were getting better every day with her in his life.

They decided to take their relationship to the next level after six months. They would meet. Here he sat, waiting for the love of his life.

When Sheila arrived her dark hair shone like moonlight and her lilth figure drifted in so gracefully you might think she floated. She looked around and her onyx eyes met Henry’s blue ones. She looked into his soul and saw a good man full of love and life.

Henry’s heart beat faster, and faster, and faster. She was perfect. They could be together. This would work!

Sheila smiled gently and drew near. Henry held out the rose. She took it. Smelled the sweet petals. Henry kissed her hand.

His mind whispered that something was wrong. His heart beat faster. Sheila frowned and backed away. Snatching her hand back. She turned. She ran. Henry’s heart flipped over itself and sped faster. Beating his death song.

Taking chase, Henry tried to call her back. She did not hear, or if she did she ignored the dying man.

“Stay back, please.” She screamed behind her. Henry took no heed, barreling forward.

“This can’t be!” She panted, tears spilling, heart breaking. “I was wrong! God forgive me, I was wrong!”

Henry couldn’t stop. He knew if she escaped she would be gone forever.

When she could run no farther, and the night time shadows were dark monsters, Sheila stopped. Henry caught up. They panted, unable to talk. Henry reached out to the woman he loved, she recoiled back so forcefully that she fell on the pavement, where she stayed and didn’t move.

“I love you.” Henry whispered. “Tell me what is wrong?”

She cried in shame and loneliness. “I love you too, but I am the one who comes and steals the breath from infants. Who slices innocents in back alleys. Who haunts hospital walls, sweeping away the dead.”

Looking up, the street lamp reflected gold in her eyes. “No one meets me unless this is their last day on earth. Henry… I tried to keep you safe. To keep you here longer. For you to stay with me. But I heard the death-song in your heart.”

“Henry.” She sobbed. “I’ve killed you too.”