View Single Post
Izumi
イズミ
Penpal

Old 09-28-2013, 03:07 PM

And that's the way it should be. Either remove the child from the situation, or discipline them. You know me and I'm really not for physical punishment, however at a younger age and done appropriately I do believe it does yield a positive result. It would only be something I would use while they're too young to rationally talk through and take away privileges/ground. I've seen people trying to rationalize with a kid who isn't old enough to even be in school and at that point I really want to commend the parent for trying to instill those values in their kid, but remind them that a child's brain just isn't capable at that stage in their life to really benefit from it. Right now, as the parent, honestly you should be using very simple cause and effect.

It's also somewhat a pet peeve of mine with pet owners seem to think they can rationalize with their cat or dog. Dogs are able to understand certain words equal certain actions. If I say cookie, they run to the kitchen as they know they are going to get a treat in the kitchen. If I try to set a condition - if you go outside, I'll give you a cookie. Well they know what outside means, but to put the two concepts together...eh right.