View Single Post
numerica
\ (•◡•) /

Old 09-25-2016, 04:40 PM

Leanna watched nervously as Mr. Alonzo, the driver, assisted Miss Bronte out of the carriage. Once he had assisted her a few halting steps and Leanna was sure she wouldn’t actually bump into her governess and cause her further pain, she climbed out herself.

The doctor’s office was as she remembered it, a relatively humble building. She knew her father had offered to assist in building a new more modern office for Doctor Smythe had refused, stating that his current office had served him well for thirty years, and he wasn’t going to abandon it in his old age. He had however accepted assistance in making sure the building was in good repair, and in installing some of the newer medical machines. The red brick building was two stories tall, and the planters on the second story windows were normally filled with cheerful flowers, although this late into the season, the flowers were mostly mums. A path of carefully laid stones led to the door.

Don’t worry, Miss Bronte, I’ll run ahead and ask them to bring the chair with wheels.” Leanna said, hurrying forward to knock on the door of the Doctors office. Mrs. Smythe, who had served as a Nurse for her husband’s practice for as long as Leanna could remember, answered.
"Miss Barrons! Is everything alright?” Mrs. Smythe looked past Leanna and assessed the situation before Leanna could respond. “Oh, dear. Let me get the chair, and take a quick look. Dr. Smythe will probably want to fire up that new contraption your father insisted he needed, that take pictures that reveal the skeleton. “ Mrs. Smythe retreated to a side room for a moment, then brought out a chair that had two small wheels in front, and slightly larger ones in back. She brought it outside, and directed Mr. Alonzo “Help the young lady down. No need to put anymore strain on the injury then necessary.” Turning to Miss Bronte, she put on a reassuring expression. “I’m Nurse Smythe. If you don’t mind me asking, what happened?