Thread: Stuck together
View Single Post
maidenroseheart
Can I please come down? ~Simple Plan's song "Astronaut"

Old 07-09-2012, 06:40 AM

She glanced back at him and winked, "Of course. Why do you think I insisted we get going. When we were at the top of that bluff a few minutes ago, I saw a creek with large rock outcroppings. There most likely is a cave there." She rounded the corner. Pausing with a grin, she heard her creek and saw the shallow cave. It didn't go back far, but was facing the right direction to provide shelter from the wind and coming storm. "Come on, there it is." She led the way over, grabbing small sticks along the way.

Reaching the shelter, she felt relieved to see no snakes. Setting down her load and quickly making a small stack with the sticks, she suggested, "Get in here and sit." Then she hopped up and ran back out. Quickly getting a handful of pine needles and some larger sticks, she came back and set them down. Opening the bundle hurriedly, she pulled out the lighter and set it beside her. Moving the pine needles into the center and carefully but quickly setting the small sticks on top, she lit the pine needles with the lighter. Coaxing them with her breathe, she got a small fire going. Feeding the pile with the larger sticks until she had them all on, she gave a whoop and ran back out to get more.

Finding some good sized branches, she carried them in and stacked them just inside the entrance. The wind was picking up quite a bit now. Putting a forked one over the fire and supporting it with another straight branch that held the two up, she finally sat down and looked into the fire. Fire always mesmerized her. Absent-mindly she asked, "What did you mean by they hated you? They didn't do anything to you did they?"