View Single Post
Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 06-27-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
That's really wise.

In my freshman year at university an English instructor was trying to get more people to interact so she booked a room that had a messaging system between our computers. We were told we had to at least reply to so many of the questions being asked but were encouraged to reply to all of them. One came up that was about why students are timid about writing about their personal political/religious views and I replied that I was afraid that the instructor would not agree and grade me more severely.

She was pretty outraged that someone should say something like that, and even though she stressed that we would be pretty much anonymous with our responses she called me out by name, out loud, and told me that she would never do that. I had to explain that I've known people who were judged and graded that way (both of my sisters, in fact) for the very same reason (political views) and I wasn't just saying something to be offensive. I had a reason to fear it. While this is going on the message thing was going crazy with people basically agreeing with me-- with you and I now-- that it's really terrifying, the consequences of saying what you feel is right and wrong when you don't know how others will react.

<_< Basically when I pointed out everyone in the class was agreeing with me for the same reason (having experienced it themselves or second hand) she had to stop scolding me.

It pained me to see her so upset by it so I stayed after to tell her that it wasn't a slight on her at all, just an observation from others. My fear was not personally assigned to anyone.

O_O This is a deep Pre-Hangout thread.
Fitting for pirates.
I have felt that way the past year. I worked the past year at a Catholic School. (My first year teaching...I'm a music teacher). I'm not saying this to start anything with anyone - this is my personal belief being used just for an example about not being able to say things that I belive....but I just don't believe in the Church. I feel like going to church is having to pay to be "forgiven." When I went to church when I was young, all they ever did was talk about donations for this and that and my parents HAD to donate so much just to be considered a member. In addition, they had to do community church service. My mom could never make the stuff at the church that was put together because she would go volunteer at hospitals in the ward with terminally ill babies and children. When my mom tried to explain that it WAS service and should be considered...they laughed at her and said, "No. It has to be at our church." So we left the church.

But I took this job because it was the first job offer I got to be a teacher. I wasn't about to pass this up in hopes that another school I interviewed at would call me. What if no other school called me? So I took the job...and I just had to bite my tongue all year with everything that was said. Comments like, "Catholic Schools are SOOO much better than Public. NO teacher cares about the students in a public school" would piss me off and so on. I had plenty of teachers who cared for me and made a big different in my life and they were all in public schools.

I couldn't say that I was living with roommates. Because I was warned by the Vice Principal that an angry parent could say that I was either A) Sleeping with my male roommate or B) Was a lesbian and sleeping with my female roommate. Then the angry parent could go to the school board and they would fire me. This came directly from the Vice Principal because it happened to her male friend who was a Vice Principal. He got fired because he had a male roommate (they were just friends) but someone got angry at him and said he was in a gay relationship.

Also - the health care didn't include birth control under the plan after a certain date because they said they no longer wanted to provide for it because they didn't believe in it. They don't know the reason and person takes Birth Control. It could be any number of reasons from helping with hormone levels to helping alleviate periods to having sex. They don't know what reason I was taking it for. But in there eyes it was all about sex and preventing life. So they stopped offering it which screwed over a TON of female teachers!

So I bit my tongue and never said a word but to friends and my parents. But I am now out of there - I got an offer at a Public School closer to home starting in the fall and I can't wait!!