View Single Post
R a n d e h
your best pal
Penpal

Old 01-13-2023, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostPastry View Post
i'm torn between physical books and kindle versions. they both have their benefits. i have an easier time sitting down for a long time with a physical book, because i'm not as tempted to check my email, but kindles are really nice how you can highlight and unhighlight them and jump from page to page. i think i prefer kindle for how-to books, and physical books for fiction, comics, art, and photography.

i hate audiobooks though. podcasts too. they're soooo slowwwww. i might as well watch 10 movies back to back, or read the book three times.
I've never tried a Kindle book, and I've only read 1 ebook but it was just a PDF copy of the book on my phone LOL.

I've never liked audio books this year. I have tried but I can't stand people just chatting away to me. I don't do podcasts either! BUT, I realized if you find an audiobook with someones voice you enjoy, it does make all the difference...AND you can speed them up, because I agree they read SO slow.

My first audio book was this year, and it was American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins. It's about a young Mexican mother and her young son who are fleeing Mexico after the cartel takes out their family. The book is read by someone of Mexican descent so she has an accent, and rolls her r's and all that good stuff. So it was actually really fun to read, almost like the narrator in a movie. And I sped it up x1 to keep her going faster HAHA. The story was also really good.

My second audio book, that's I'm on now. I'm struggling with a bit but only because the story so far is so so...but I'm halfway through and they are making some big discoveries now which are giving you some "OHHHH" and "AHHH" moments of excitement lol. This one is "The Women of Pearl Island" by Polly Crosby and it's about an island off the British Coast and the person reading it has a beautiful British accent, I didn't have to accelerate this one because she reads fast, which I enjoy. She also has a voice for the main character and then a voice for everyone she talks to so you can differentiate in the conversation.

To find these two though I listened to 1st chapter samples of many books LOL if the audio reading sounds like a computer, I'm out. If the reader doesn't put emphasis on words and expressions, I'm out. If they pronounce words different than I do (by a lot), I'm out LOL

All this to say, I wouldn't completely write off audio books, make it your 2023 to find an audio book you can tolerate, it may open up a new world for you! I now listen to my book when I'm getting ready in the morning for work, on my drive in/home and when doing chores lol I find it's helped since I would rather read than doing any of that stuff, so now I can do both. I can't listen and work though, I am too distracted by my work to focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObviouslyAya View Post
I prefer physical books, I like relaxing in bed and turning the pages of a paperback. I've never been able to get into audiobooks, I like to binge read and they are too slow for me. I also don't process the story as well when it's being read to me verse reading it myself.

I started my 2023 Goodreads challenge and for the first book I caved and bought the kindle version of a book I've been wanting to read. It is nice to have it easily available to me on my breaks at work. But I shouldn't get in the habit, mostly because of the cost. It's convenient to get the books I want. But I can shop at the local used bookstore for way cheaper. And I have like 150+ unread physical books on my shelves right now.
Just as an FYI, it may be different where you are of course, but our library offers e-books as rentals instead of just books. I download them right from the library app and then it reads like a kindle, I haven't use any of them yet, but I tested it out to see. Could be an option for you on the go! :)

---------- Post added 01-13-2023 at 08:45 AM ----------

As for myself, I love the actual book for the sole purpose that I love the feeling of the paper and the smell of the pages lol