View Single Post
Sho-Shonojo
(っ◕‿◕)っ ♥

Old 05-30-2008, 01:35 AM

74. Confrontation

She listened to the ringing on the other end of the line, almost hoping to herself that it wouldn't pick up.

"Gun control hot-line, how can I help you?" Replied a sudden voice from the receiver.

She swallowed hard, her mouth suddenly felt unbelievably dry. "A friend of mine is planning to kill someone today."

Putnar's footsteps were hard on the cement sidewalk. In his nearly empty book bag, he could feel the heavy revolver bouncing hard against his leg. Every time it happened he was sure someone would notice. It seemed idiotic that no one would. He almost hoped someone would notice, would stop him. But they didn't, Jeremy wasn't even there to tell him how stupid he was, bringing that thing to school, tempting himself to use it.

He was going to use it. That had been decided the weekend before when the shady man had pulled it from his coat and handed it to Putnar as he himself shoved the wad of bills into his pocket. Yes, Putnar was going to end this feud no matter what, no matter who got hurt in the process.

What he hadn't meant was for it to take so long. Every minute he spent in classes felt like hours. The looks sent his way all seemed suspicious, knowing. Every time a teacher passed him, he was sure they would notice the weight in his book bag, ask to search it. It had happened before. But in some ridicules turn of luck no one did, not the one day that it counted.

Then it was lunchtime. He was so distracted that he didn't even notice Taylor missing from their usual table. No, he walked straight passed it without seeing her empty space. He only sought out Anthony.

And he found him, in that secluded little walkway between the two buildings, two of his muscleheads standing like henchmen behind him. Putnar would remember that look on Anthony's face forever. Anthony knew as soon as he laid eyes on Putnar, saw the intention written behind that face just like he had always been able to do.

Putnar had the revolver out in one slick movement. He saw the other's faces turn white as they began to comprehend. A finger to his lips rendered them quiet, they knew he meant business.

"Do you intend to kill me Putnar. Surely you couldn't do that." Anthony said with his hint of arrogance that always meant he was bluffing.

"I'll try," Putnar said, trying to keep to his voice steady as he forced the words out, "And if I can't, then you'll have to deal with the weight of my death on your shoulders," He said as pointed the end of the gun to his head, "Surely you couldn't do that."