View Single Post
Sho-Shonojo
(っ◕‿◕)っ ♥

Old 07-13-2010, 04:54 AM

52. Old (cont of preservatives)

"Such treachery will be the death of us all!" Old voices echoed into the garden courtyard where she sat. They were flooding out through the wide stone windows and she imagined the leader, now her husband, sitting calmly and bearing it all with that grim determined look on his face.

She stroked two tiny leaves of a seedling poking out from the soil and felt it's Life beneath her fingers. It stretched beneath her fingers, growing taller and more mature with her presence. Satisfied with the result she brought the same hand to her swollen belly. Life was growing there too.

It was the reason for the voices.

"You would destroy the ways of our people, for some woman? Sacrifice for our future generations has always been our way. You would rather your son starve as an infant than lose this Elreen of yours."

"There is no guarantee it will be a son. I will not sacrifice myself for a daughter either. I will find a new way." her husband said calmly.

"And you would damn us all for it! This is our way, it has always been our way. We are only dying out because fools like you get silly thoughts in your head, and lose faith in our purpose. Why do you think so many sons were born, or the jungle began to die"

"It lives now!" His voice was raised now, impatient, "She makes sure of it!"

"At what cost? You would go against nature? Perhaps we were dying out because we were meant to."

"But sir..."

The sound of deep bellowing horns interrupted them. She watched as a flock of birds scattered from the trees, fleeing from the sound. A cry was taken from all who heard it.

"We're under attack!"