View Single Post
Kory
Spooky Action at a Distance

Old 10-28-2015, 09:09 PM

Joanna wasn't offended. She understood perfectly, some children got nervous or rebellious when she would first be introduced to them. The idea of having a stranger living in their home and teaching them was always scary for a child, especially one Leanna's age. Joanna gently pet Leanna's head out of nervous habit and chuckled,

"Ah, that's alright, Lord Rathingar. I understand, I am still a stranger in Leanna's eyes. Children are always mistrustful of a stranger... And I understand she may still be upset of her mother's... passing." Death was too harsh of a word to use with a young child. Joanna didn't want to stir up any ill feelings on the first day.

Joanna knelt in front of Leanna's chair, folding her hands together as she spoke to Leanna in a gentle, hopefully, disarming voice, "I understand you're upset, Leanna... I understand it's hard to have a stranger in your home telling you what to do. But, I promise, we are going to have so much fun! Soon, we'll be good friends and we'll have you learning without even thinking about it."

Joanna wanted to reach toward and brush some stray hairs in Leanna's face behind the child's ear, but she held back. She knew Leanna would be cautious and to make the child uncomfortable would make it that much harder to become her friend.