View Single Post
Precarious Fool
Are you kitten me right meow?

Old 06-15-2016, 12:30 PM

How did it feel to be satisfied? Rose wasn't sure how to answer that, since she didn't know anything else. She pouted a bit as she considered how to answer the question, no one had asked so much about her before, there was never a need. She was a princess, she did what princesses do, had to be content with it, and that was just it. There wasn't any questioning it, and she really didn't, since it was all she had known from birth. As a child when she did ask questions the answer was usually, 'this is how it's always been done'. That was enough for her. "It has made life easy, I am content with my lot in life and so I feel no need to change it, not draw to want something I cannot have." Sure, she had childhood dreams of faraway lands and travels, but those were exactly that, the dreams of children, not grown women. Not that she was all that grown at only eighteen years of age.

The next question was harder and she frowned, she knew so little about her future husband, which would surely surprise him. It didn't matter how much she knew, it was her duty to marry the prince and so what difference did it make to know much about him before or after? "Well, I know he is ten years my senior. I've been told he is handsome, and a good warrior. He is a prince and next in line to rule after his father passes, though the King is in good health." That was all the knowledge she had, and it was enough. She would be a queen one day, the highest aspiration she could ever hope for. Even if she had been given the option she would not have turned it down, for she could do no better for her kingdom than secure such an ally.

===

The cot beside him shifted and he reached out for the warmth that had been there. When he found nothing he groaned and opened his eyes, seeing Ariel across the small room at the chest. Ah, more doctoring for the cripple. He grunted with the effort it took to sit up, once more leaning against the wall. Had he tore the stitches in his sleep? He had tried to be careful but it was hard enough to do so while awake. While waiting on her he bent as carefully as he could to retrieve the bottle of ale he had left on the floor, glad it hadn't tipped while they napped.

"Feelin' better, lass?" His voice was thick with sleep and he took a large swig of ale after, trying to clear his throat. He felt a little better rested and wonder how long they had managed to sleep. Bright light streamed through the porthole still, so at least he hadn't managed to sleep the day away.