View Single Post
Wrenji-chan
I belong in a Museum.

Penpal

Old 03-02-2013, 01:30 PM

"Wot?! A Pata lass?" Padraig let out a whoop and a hearty laugh. One of his large hands patted the captain on the back - he didn't loose his balance. "Anythin' ye say Mum. I'll be." Paddy grinned and looked toward Pata again. He'd never expected to meet anyone from there again.

Down on the deck, Lukas and Barnabas rolled their eyes. The knew very well how charming Paddy could be, when he wanted. They knew of his origins - as a child he'd been a fruit monkey. They knew his life had be rough, but it was what made him who he was. Upon hearing Paddy's very loud noise of excitement, they groaned. Just what had he said to the captain this time?

Barnabas looked from the rigging to the rest of the ship. It was decent enough - certainly the smallest vessel he'd ever been on. But he supposed that made it easy to navigate. "Lukas?" he said off-handed "What do you know about the cargo?"

"About as much as you do, I'd imagine. That at risk of life we have to keep it protected." Lukas rolled his shoulders, "Barn, what made you decide to take this mission. It seems very folly. We have to protect something we don't know about."

"Albrecht, you think I chose this?" Barnabas turned, looking at Lukas with disbelief. "Why would I chose something like this? A trade run, with my men and experience? We'd be better suited to act as the Queen's guard than to run cargo. It's a menial job, but it's the one they gave me. Someone at the Academy recommended us. Whatever the cargo is, it must hold some importance." There were a few interested glances from the sailors around them, and they decided it best to drop the subject.

"What are your opinions on this captain?" Barnabas asked, leaning against a railing.

"Are you sure that's such a good idea? Many of the people around us appear very loyal to their captain." Lukas copied his commander's stance.

"Scared, Albrecht?"

"No. I'm merely thinking about the consequences. Do I want to wake up with a knife to my throat?" Lukas had already made some opinions about the crew, in just the few moments that they'd been on deck. There was something about them that told Lukas to be on guard. Perhaps it was the shifty looks in their eyes, or the way they grinned and chuckled to themselves. "The captain, what little I know of her, appear decent. She's strict, but if Paddy can easily talk to her," he pointed to the rigging, where the pair was still lingering, "She must have a softer side, or at least a reason for being so strict. As much charm as Paddy has, you and I were always better with ladies of self-importance. That captain, she has a strong sense of self-worth. It's admirable."

Barnabas chuckled. "This isn't going to turn into what happened in on the Kirtia, is it? Me having to put both you and Paddy in the brig?"

"That was different. Amentia clearly was in love with me."

"Try telling that to her father, the captain. Better yet, try telling the captain that his daughter is a stowaway... on a voyage that was a year and a half. I saved your lives by putting you in the brig."

"You did indeed. As she was in the cell next to ours."

"Her father was never quite right in the head."The two men laughed and looked back toward the rigging. Paddy, and the captain seemed to be pointing out different things only they could see - being so high up on the ship.

Paddy was having the time of his life. He missed being so high up in the air. He missed being able to see for countless miles. The solar horizon was one of the greatest sights a man could see, in his opinion. He had viewed every ship launch from this exact spot. This was the first time he had a companion though. A Pata lass, no less.

She'd probably been a Monkey, like he had been, with the way she commanded the rigging; the way she too desired to be in the air, and away from the ground. Her hair flew around her wildly, she had a wicked grin on her face and her eyes gleamed at the prospective journey. He smirked to himself. A Pata lass, indeed.