Thread: "Transracial"?
View Single Post
Crimson Fang
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to Crimson Fang Send a message via MSN to Crimson Fang

Old 11-22-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstahh` View Post
My sister didn't really grow up "mexican" and has told me she considers herself "white" and doesn't want anyone to know her heritage.
This is one area where I am more comfortable at the notion of a person being "transracial." Not that I am comfortable with anyone being made to feel this way. I can't speak to your sister's situation as prior to this post of yours, I was completely unaware you even had a sister. However there has been a trend where people with stigmatized identities will change their racial identity when given the opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstahh` View Post
I don't mind reading information about other cultures, and one day I hope that our cultures/races have blended together so much that we can all do what feels most comfortable for us, but I think IDENTIFYING as a different race than you are is...at the very least, weird, but it is also disrespectful a lot of the time.
I imagine it can be disrespectful in a great many contexts as you identify. Especially with your comment regarding cultural appropriation. For myself I think it would depend on the context.