View Single Post
MintyRey
N00b

Old 05-09-2012, 09:06 PM

"Nope. This wouldn't do...."

Once more, the inked quill scratched out an unwanted sentence. Another revision in a series of edits to document that basically says that the region of Zima would welcome the opening of a new trade route. Though Samuel was tempted many times to just write "Yes", a formal letter always required care in wording. And a whole bunch of fluff to ensure he doesn't offend anyone. After writing and scratching out a few more sentences, Samuel gave up. Sighing in exasperation, the young man crumpled up the paper he worked on and tossed it in a bin.

"I guess I'll just rewrite it later.", he said to himself as he reclined back in his chair. He had been working on the letter since he woke up that morning. It was only recently that he moved from the library on the second floor to the other library on the third floor. Samuel hoped to find new material that would help him think of what to write. "Maybe I'm just hungry. I haven't eaten breakfast yet. I'm not supposed to be working while I'm here anyway. Right?"

Unfortunately, the welfare and financial stability of the duchy was often on the duke's mind. He was a workaholic, to say the least. His brothers would often tease him about this fact during family outings and vacations whenever they discover that Samuel had smuggled books, maps, parchment, and writing material. Truthfully, the effort to run Zima Kruzhevo could easily be split between and covered by him and his four brothers. This was how they helped their father when they were children. Though, unlike children of other royalty, Samuel and his brothers were free to pursue different careers. Dukes and duchesses in Zima did not need an heir of their bloodline to succeed them. But Samuel wanted to walk in his father's footsteps.

After his father retired from the position Samuel's older brother, Ptolemy, became the new ruler. It wasn't until Ptolemy married a princess and moved to another land to become prince that Samuel became duke. From then on the raven haired boy put his nose to the grindstone, which may have more or less been what he wanted. Probably.

Every now and then his parents would host a party or have the whole family go on an excursion. During those times Samuel would gladly let his advisers handle the work. But it had been a while since he gave himself a break from his duties. Perhaps he forgot how to relax. After thinking a few more things over, the youth got up from his chair and left the library. He decided to stop by the balcony to get some fresh air. Leaning over the stone balustrade, Samuel noticed two figures under a tree. It was the Princess of Dalmasca and the Duchess of Dublin. The two women of uncommon nature were having a lively conversation by the looks of it.

Samuel couldn't help but remember last night's dinner. The food was good. The table talk was...unconventional. Mostly due to Razi. He wondered if that was how things were going to be while they were at the castle. 'How did you do it, Ptolemy?', he thought. 'Was this how it was when you came here?' It was through this same event years ago that his brother, the former duke, had met his wife, Princess Ellian. Ptolemy never told his brothers too much about his stay at the summer castle, preferring to tease them instead with secrecy or exaggerated tales.

But everyone knew that he and his wife did not get along at first. Even after their wedding, it was many months before they could talk without fighting. Thankfully, the couple's volatility had mellowed out and their relationship became a calm one. It came as a surprise when Ptolemy and Ellian even started enjoying each other's company.

While he looked on, Samuel raised a hand to the key around his neck. Who he would be paired up with in the end, he didn't know. If he could have a say in the matter, he would love to woo Lady Myazaki or Lady Tempas. True, every noblewoman here was a beauty, but Samuel found himself thinking of them the most. But whether he liked someone or not, it was if their lock matched that decided who he would be with.

"Alright. Enough thinking. My brain hurts and I'm hungry. I'll just cross whatever bridge I'll end up at when I get there." Taking one last look at the ladies by the tree. One of them had just picked up a sword, most likely to spar. Samuel then headed off with a small smile on his face and a shake of his head. 'Women.'

Last edited by MintyRey; 05-15-2012 at 12:02 AM..