View Single Post
Kory
Spooky Action at a Distance

Old 10-15-2015, 01:31 AM

"Oh, wait, please!" Joanna called to the conductor. The train hadn't moved yet, but she knew she was still running late. Quite frankly, Joanna took too long to pack, she hadn't left home before and wasn't sure of all the things she'd need living in a strange house. She carried with her a large trunk of clothing and necessities. Joanna had actually purchased this trunk new for the journey.

She ran towards the bus, trying to carry her skirts and her trunk at the same time, though it proved to be rather difficult. "Please wait!" She continued to call. Thankfully, the conductor must have heard her, for the train didn't make a move. By the time Joanna had reached the doors of the train, she was out of breath. Her boots felt too tight as she wiggled into the train, stumbling over her skirts and her trunk as she came closer to her seat. The other people on the train looked a little annoyed, but Joanna didn't notice it.

She found her seat and gently pushed her trunk underneath the seat next to her. She let out a long sigh and brushed some loose hairs behind her ear. She felt bad that she was going to show up to her new employer's home with her hair messy and her clothes dirty, but such is life when you're in a rush. The train slowly dragged out of the station and she stared out of the window, letting her imagination run wild, wondering what the Elmsly Manor looked like.

. . .

The sound of the engine brakes woke Joanna. She didn't even notice she'd fallen asleep until she was wide awake at the station. The sun was already setting and she knew she didn't have much time to grab her things and head out of the train to make her way to the Elmsy Manor. Still, she did her best to move as quickly as possible. Grabbing her trunk and running out of the train, she caught a carriage to talk her towards the manor.

This city was so beautiful, not very different from York, but different enough. When the carriage pulled up in front of Elmsy Manor, Joanna stepped out, taking her trunk with her and offering the carriage driver some extra money for their kindness. She could faintly make out the figure of a person standing on the steps and she waved to them, shouting,

"Hello! I'm so sorry I'm late... This is my first time traveling!" She dragged her trunk along her side with one hand while her other held up her skirts. "You must be Mr. Barrons?" She came closer, offering her hand to him. "I'm so very pleased to be working for an Earl. I promise," She smiled wider, "I promise I will be the best governess you've seen here yet."