View Single Post
Mizayo
The Embodiment of Geekiness

Old 09-26-2013, 12:13 PM

Chapter Four

The class took far longer than Nora had originally thought it would. Being with only six kids would generally mean that the class didn't have much to do in the way of larger projects, but it seemed as if each child was given his or her own personal lesson. The strangest thing about it wasn't the fact that each had their own time, but that there were barely any words spoken in the three hours that the class went on. There were no questions or arguments, only silent understanding between teacher and student. It was fascinating.

Probably the biggest thing Nora found out was that when Professor Svek 'taught' the kids to use their mental shields, he wasn't actually lecturing or giving out tips. He would literally meld with the child for twenty to thirty minutes and, Nora guessed, made the mental shields for them. Teach by example, she supposed.

It seemed to work, too. When Nora had first stepped into the classroom, the children seemed almost fidgety and nervous around her. It was as if they were frightened she would attack them or make them do something 'un-vulcan', but after Svek had his time with them, they seemed immediately more calm and detached, like most vulcans.

Nora wasn't sure what the vulcan children would have been like, but it seemed they differ very little from the adults of their species. It was truly fascinating – Nora had always liked children, and they had been a big part of her studies so far. It was interesting to see how the adolescence effected each species, and how the adults would handle them, and most species were very dissimilar in that regard. The vulcans were no different. They seemed to treat their children like adults themselves, and the children acted like it. There didn't seem to be very many disciplinary issues, and if there were, she hadn't seen or heard of any yet.

It seemed even quieter than it had been before, but that was ridiculous – it was completely silent then too. After Svek had finished with the children, he had gone back to the desk at the end of the room. It wasn't like other human teachers' desk areas – more like the students', actually. It was a large, metal desk with a small PADD on it, nothing more. There was a metal chair that Svek was using as he worked on his PADD, but it looked extremely uncomfortable, to be honest.

It was almost as if he had forgotten about her, though. She had been sitting in the corner, observing in complete silence throughout the whole three hours that the class had gone on for, and he didn't seem to acknowledge her after that first little introduction. The children were still in the room, however they were meditating over in a soundproof corner that was apparently made specifically for that exact purpose.

It had been at least ten minutes since Professor Svek had walked over to his desk and forgotten about her. Nora waited patiently until he finally found it was okay to talk to her again, but it was as if he was content to sit there and let her fidget uncomfortably. Then, as if on cue, he said, "Miss Elnora, it is not my intention to make you uncomfortable. Please forgive me."

Nora was dumbfounded – it was as if he had read her mind. Cautiously, she leaned forward minutely and whispered, "How did you know I was uncomfortable?"

The professor remained stiff as always. "As I have stated before, you need not whisper. The children will either hear you, or they will not. And because they are in the meditation room, they will not."

Nora sighed. She didn't need this constant correction. Bringing up her voice up another couple octaves, she said, "You didn't answer my question."

Svek simply nodded. "You are projecting. Vulcans are primarily touch telepathic, but if a being who is completely without mental barriers is near, it is possible to find traces of that being's emotional state. However, it is not possible to see anything clearer than that, you need not worry."

Once again feeling slightly overwhelmed, Nora drew blank for a moment. "Sorry," she finally got out. "I didn't mean to make you feel my uncomfortable… ness…" she fumbled, her thoughts trailing once again. The funny thing about your brain is that when you tell it not to think a certain thing, it goes completely out of its way to not only think about that thing, but intensify it and make it even worse than it originally was. At that moment, Nora was trying desperately not to think about how dark and mysterious Svek's gray eyes were. She gulped, blushing slightly but not saying another word.

Svek simply raised an eyebrow. After a moment, though, he said almost wearily, "I am unsure as to whether or not you were aware of this, but I just experienced a very strong wave of... an unknown emotion from you. Perhaps you could enlighten me?"

Good god, he didn't know what that emotion was! Nora didn't know if she should be extremely relieved by this or... saddened. "Um... Yes, I was aware of it. And... no, I'd rather not say what it was," she finished awkwardly, trying to hold back a cough.

Good thing vulcans were no stranger to privacy. He nodded shortly, but didn't say anything else. Then he once again returned to his PADD, much to the disappointment of Nora. She grumbled again, but tried to keep the emotion reigned in at least a small amount. It didn't seem to work, though, as Svek looked up suddenly, as if shocked. "Why are you experiencing more emotions? Had I not sated them?"

The image of Svek and sating really… didn't do what she was wanting to do right now. But she brushed away the initial thoughts and stood up, walking over to the professor's desk. "No, actually. I don't know how you vulcans handle school guests, but back on Earth we don't just leave them in a corner and expect them to be silent while the teacher works." She tried not to seethe, she really did. It's just that… well, to be honest she's always had a bit of a temper problem, and being in a constant company of vulcans was starting to grate on her. And it was only the first week!

Svek seemed to think about his response for a long time, but soon dragged his eyes up to meet hers. Those dark gray eyes looked almost… apologetic. "I do not know how vulcans 'handle' guests to the school because we do not usually host them. I apologize if my manners have been less than expected. I am… unfamiliar with humans." He seemed almost as if he was admitting an insecurity to her.

Nora was a bit stunned, honestly. She'd gone and accused the poor professor again, and all he had done was apologize for something he didn't have any control over. And no experience with humans? "No, no…" she started, pulling up her own chair to sit near his desk. He looked puzzled at the movement, but she carried on. "It's me who should be apologizing. I've always been a bit rambunctious with my emotions, especially since my last planet was Cardassia Prima – a planet that prides itself on emotions and social interaction more than Earth." She paused, letting the professor think about that for a while until he nodded in understanding. Still, the curiosity bothered her. "And what do you mean 'unfamiliar with humans'? I thought the vulcan people were pretty familiar with other species."

Svek shook his head slowly, keeping his eye contact with Nora. "I do not know much about alien species other than what is taught in school – that which is primarily the history of the galaxy in general and not a specific species. The extent of my human knowledge is what is taught about First Contact and the general stereotypes – however I tend not to acknowledge most."

This guy, man. This guy just kept on surprising Nora, over and over again. Was he a vulcan norm? Did they not know much about other species? The only vulcans Nora had ever really known about were the famous ones – famous in human society anyway. Maybe that was why she was under that particular impression. Apparently vulcans were just like any other species – if they never seek it out, they never know.

Nora was about to reply, but Svek cut her off. He sounded almost as if he was nervous to reveal something to her, but thought better of it anyway. "I have been… curious of human society for a time. Perhaps you would allow me to inquire after that knowledge?" he asked, looking as if he wanted to look away from her and break the eye contact, but held it nonetheless. It was almost as if he was fighting an internal battle with himself for this conversation. Was he really that far out of his comfort zone?

"Uh… sure."

~oOo~

After a long, drawn out conversation about the politics, emotional expression, geography, and general societal norms, Svek got a call from a small communicator on the wall. He looked almost disappointed to halt the conversation – and Nora felt it too, to be honest – but he turned around in his chair and pressed the blinking button. "Professor Svek here."

It was that nasty headmaster again. "Is your session with the human concluded?" she sounded slightly less aggravated than the last time Nora had a talk with her, but she felt as if that would soon change.

"Negative," said Svek simply. It was as if he didn't want to reveal the depth of their conversation with his boss. Understandable – he had explained how the stuff he asked about was for his own personal curiosity, and Nora could see not wanting the boss to find out you'd been indulging on the job.

"Is she currently in your classroom?" The voice was still unclipped, even though she knew that Nora was still in the building. Curious, Nora thought.

"I'm here!" Nora shouted from over Svek's shoulder, having leant in quite a bit to hear the communicator. Svek stiffened, as if he hadn't realized she was that close. After a moment, he relaxed and leaned slightly farther away. Nora chose to ignore it, speaking back up again. "Is there something you needed, Headmaster?"

The response was not immediate. "Indeed. I wish for your and Professor Svek's attendance. Report to my office." Again, the voice was still unangered. Had T'Pahri finally reined in her emotions again like a good little vulcan, or was she thinking about something else?

Nora glanced at Svek before turning away and standing up. "Are we in trouble?"

The professor surprised her by replying: "I am unsure."

The walk to the headmaster's office was a shorter one than the last. Nora thought it might be because of the complete silence between herself and her new vulcan friend. They originally were very uncomfortable in their first conversation down these halls, but now there seemed to be a sort of ease between them, and it made the journey far less tense. Time flies when you're not being silently tortured.

When the couple finally got to the headmaster's office, the silent company of professor Svek was a comfort, and Nora was somewhat sad to see it end. Taking a deep breath, she looked up at him for a moment before stepping forward and letting the door automatically open.

The old woman was sitting at her desk – that looked incredibly more comfortable than Svek's had been – and looked to be completely unemotional and serene. Maybe their first impressions weren't the best. "I have been informed that you are a xenologist," she stated simply, as if she was informing Nora that it was hot outside.

Nora was dumbstruck. "Um… I guess so. Sort of. Unofficially. How did you…?"

"I am also aware that you have a degree in teaching."

Well, yeah. She had always loved kids, and you kind of have to have a job to save up enough money to go around the quadrant. "I…" Nora started, unsure how any of this was relevant and how the headmaster had gotten that information. Had she…?

"I can sense your confusion. I have indeed 'looked you up', as is the terran phrase. I merely intended to assure myself that you were safe – however, as you can see, I have found something quite interesting." She didn't seem mad anymore – in fact she seemed almost happy about what she found, which generally had Nora's alarm bells ringing. What else had she found that was so interesting to her?

"Well, I guess I never made it very secret. I mean, the work I do now is my life, so it would be a bit ridiculous to try and keep it to myself. I must admit, though, that I've never had someone check up on me. Why is it so interesting? Surely you've had others who were curious."

"Not so curious as to come to our homeworld. As you have no doubt deciphered by now, the atmosphere isn't as hospitable to terrans as it is to the vulcans."

Nora didn't quite know how to respond. "Um… true, but that hasn't stopped me before."

Headmaster T'Pahri nodded in agreement. "Indeed. The information I found stated that you had visited other planets, but I could not find their names. I am interesting in knowing your work more, if that is agreeable?"

Nora was still a little surprised to see such interest from the once-rude headmaster. "Uhm… sure, if you want. What is it that you want to know?"

The headmaster's eyes almost lit up. "What planets have you been to? How long were you there? What did you study?" she racked up the questions, her curiosity evident. But it was like she had another motive.

Well that was quite a bit of info the vulcan wanted. "Well…" Nora turned to realize that Svek was still in the room as well, and he looked positively overwhelmed with curiosity. Nora had a feeling these vulcans don't get out much. Though, to be fair, neither did she when she was a teacher. "I've been to New Romulus, Qo'noS, Risa, Bajor, and Cardassia so far. Every planet I go to, I stay for a year, and the main purpose is to learn everything I can about them. Get to know the planet and its people closely, as if I've lived there forever. Notice the things no one else does. Make friends with locals, get used to the surroundings – you know, just… learn the culture."

The headmaster was quiet for a few moments, then looked almost excited. "And you have learned much about the cultures of these planets, then."

"Sure. Lots. That's the point."

"Of course." T'Pahri thought for another moment. "You will require an income to go to your next planet, yes?"

This caught Nora off guard. "Well, actually, I have just enough to get from Vulcan to Andoria. Consequently, though, I don't have enough for Andoria to Earth, or any of the necessities along the way. So yeah, I'm going to have to get some sort of income soon. Why?"

"It seems our Xenology professor has just received an opportunity to work in the Vulcan Science Academy, and has left the school. The position is open, if it is suitable for you. The income would be substantially larger than that of your Terran job, as vulcans place education above all else. This school would benefit from your presence."

Nora couldn't believe what she was hearing. A teaching job? Here at this school for special children? "Sure! Totally! I would love to work here! I've only met a few of the kids so far, but I'm sure they're all little angels! Yes! Yes." So what if she just had a massive emotional outburst – she couldn't help it. Being offered a position at a school with all those adorable little vulcans, teaching them all about the klingons, and the bajorans, and even the humans! Plus, she'd get to see Professor Svek more, and somehow that made her stay on Vulcan sound a lot more bearable.

The headmaster did look a bit out of sorts after the outburst – and so did Svek, really – but she recovered quickly and gave a firm nod. "It is settled then. You will begin next week. I will have someone clean the original professor's things out, and you will be able to bring in your own."

Nora couldn't help the enormous smile that then stretched across her face. This planet was already looking better than the past ones. Maybe this time she'll actually find her niche. Even on Cardassia she was always a bit out of place, but maybe here she'd find it easier.

~oOo~

"Man, you're fitting in quite a bit faster than I thought. Congrats!" Earrot said excitedly. At least he was a bit happy for her – she hadn't thought he'd be too pleased.

"Yeah. And I've already made a friend – well… sort of. Acquaintance. As friendly as you can get with a vulcan on the day you met. Y'know. But I think we hit it off. He seems really interested in human culture, which is totally okay with me. We've already had a huge conversation about our culture's differences and all that jazz." Nora wasn't just happy about that either – she was blissful. It was one thing to have a deep, intriguing conversation with a vulcan you just met – it was another one entirely that he was handsome and you get to see him every day.

She thought she saw a sparkle of jealousy in his eyes, but it flashed away just as quickly as it came. He knew she wasn't interested, and he tried to respect that. And she was grateful – that whole tirade late last year wasn't the most fun time ever. "Sounds like a lot of fun," he paused, taking a deep breath. "So… when do you think you'll come back?"

Nora laughed. "It'll be a while yet, Earrot. I just got here."

He paused again, looking away. "I know, it just miss you." The sadness in his eyes at that moment was one of the worst things she had ever seen. He looked genuinely depressed.

Nora sighed and suddenly wished she could reach through the screen and give him a hug. He looked like she had died and he was speaking to her corpse. "Earrot…" she started – but she didn't know what to say. She felt as if everything she said would either make it worse or not do anything at all. "I'm not dead, you know. I still call – as you can see – and I promise I will come see you. But only after I've at least had time to settle in. This is my life's work, Earrot. Surely you can understand."

He nodded immediately. "Of course. I'm sorry."

Nora shook her head, already regretting to harsh tone her voice had taken. "No, I'm sorry. I know you miss me – I miss you as well. But there are things I need to do before I go running back to my safe haven."

This actually got a small quirk of the lips. "Cardassia is your safe haven?"

Nora imagined elbowing him in the ribs. "Oh, you know it is," she said with not just a hint of sincerity. After that, the conversation sailed along much more smoothly.