View Single Post
Kat Dakuu
hyperactive catdemon

Penpal

Old 06-23-2016, 06:14 PM

Like often, Aaheru woke with the dawn, even before his father. It wasn't that he did so to start the work, but because that was the best way to avoid it. With the water urn under his arm, he took off at a trot for the center of the reptile's great city and the its life-force at almost the opposite side--the river. Despite always running off, he did get the water, liking to have it himself. Leaving as early as he did, the streets weren't crowded yet, but the shop keepers already started to cart their wares to the market street and others like him headed to the river. Of course, most of them were women and children, but it was just him and his father.

Reptile-made streams ran out from the great river's bed, wandering through crop fields and toward the heart of the city. That stream ended in a pool surrounded by paved stone constructed so that water was always flowing. Just as he turned away with his full urn, a group of snake warriors entered the courtyard. Aaheru bit his lip, staring for a second before moving to step aside. Except, a tall black cobra with striking slicked back hair and sharp eyes broke away from the others and walked right for him. Freezing, Aaheru just watched his approach. Judging by his clothing, this snake was high ranked.

"Aaheru Nassor, son of Abasi. You are the python, Menes', student correct."

It didn't sound much like a question. Aaheru looked up, realizing now that they were a foot away just how different their heights were. "Um....yes?"

"Would you please come with us, then." The cobra warrior turned on his heel and headed for the streets away from the market. He fell into step with the two other snakes, not looking back once as if the mere thought of disobeying this command never occurred to them. Not sure what else to do with the water and these snakes, Aaheru balanced the urn and took off after them, trying not to feel the least bit anxious.

By the time they stopped just out of the way of prying ears, Aaheru's scales were already rippling between an anxious teal and a submissive black, just one color tumbling over the other. "H-hey, I don't really know what this is about, but I have chores and warriors like you....to me....talking," he stumbled before he realized they'd stopped walking and he jolted to a stop himself, spilling droplets of precious water.

One of the snakes smirked, muttering to his companion, but the black cobra stayed stone-faced. "Menes is a very good old friend of mine." Aaheru gulped in response. "He tells me you've been sneaking onto the cliffs. Even perhaps...making contact the enemy....?"

Aaheru's scales blackened in an instant. "That is...I have no idea what you're talking about," he huffed, trying to pull himself up taller. "I would never talk with a dumb bird!"

The cobra smiled for the first time. "Is that so? I hear you would like to become a warrior." Seeing the chameleon boy pause and his eyes widen, he continued. "And I just might be able to make that happen. You see, we need someone just like you to keep doing exactly what it is you're doing." He pulled Aaheru aside, smiling all the while. "Why don't you become our double agent..."