View Single Post
Kole_Locke
(^._.^)ノ

Old 12-29-2012, 02:47 AM

CHAPTER 17 (PART - A)

The hours went by slowly, back at Captain Chester’s sister’s home. Chester brought Haddock out of his room as he, Enzo, Haddock, and Alyssa played ‘Go Fish’. Chester focused on keeping Haddock’s mind occupied. Bob and Nathan arrived home a little earlier than usual and dinner was leftovers from the night before reheated.

“Where’s Tintin?” Bob asked noticing his absence.
“He’s visiting someone he knows…” Chester answered.
“I didn’t know he knew anyone around here” Bob said surprised.

The dinner table was fairly silent. Enzo’s entire body was now feeling the full effect of the manual labor, he really just wanted to go take a bath and go to bed. Alyssa watched Haddock carefully noting his anxious fidgeting constantly watching the clock. Mary Ann really didn’t know what to think of everything going on, but thought it was better not to mention too much to her husband since he had worked all day. Chester did most of the conversing with Bob about work. Nathan seemed especially exhausted when he returned and didn’t have much to say.

“It’s a real shame all of you have to leave tomorrow” Bob reiterated again.
“Elizabeth will be expecting me soon, and I have a crew up on the Sirius in Glasgow waiting for me by Monday” Chester explained again for the fifth time.
“What about you Archibald? What about you and Tintin? Surely you would like to earn a little money,” Bob asked again.
“Sorry Bob, we got business back home, and I’m not worried about money…” Haddock said absently glancing back at Chester.
“Well if you change your mind…” Bob reminded.
“That’s probably not going to happen Bob” Chester ended that discussion.
“The garden looks nice” Nathan noted.
“Oh that… you have Enzo and Tintin to thank for that” Chester pointed out.
Enzo looked up and smiled weakly feeling his muscles aching.
“I guess we can finish planting the seeds this weekend” Nathan commented.
“Yes, it really was nice since we didn’t have to borrow a tractor” Bob laughed.

“What?!” Chester, Haddock, and Enzo glared at Bob at once.
“Well one of our neighbors lets us borrow his tractor sometimes to do our fairly small plot we have, for a small price…” Bob explained.
“Why didn’t you just do that?” Chester demanded.
“We have money you know!” Haddock cut in.
“Well, I figured I had extra help at home, so I thought I would put it to use…” Bob reasoned.
“We were supposed to be on holiday…if you had a tractor or could have gotten one, we could have had all of that done in half a day!” Chester replied with a bit of aggravation.
“Hard work was what my ole dad used to tell me was the key to a good living” Bob went on.

“I’ll show you work you, you…” Haddock’s anger was starting to boil over by the look in his eye. Even for a seasoned captain who was fairly active, manual farming wasn’t an easy task. Chester’s and Haddock’s limbs were not free from being sore from the previous day of toil.

“What time is it?” Alyssa said noting both of her uncle’s outrage. Even for her Uncle Frederick, he had a temper like her Uncle Archibald, and when he would lose it, both were the same.

“It’s almost nine O’clock” Mary Ann answered trying to quickly diffuse the situation knowing her brother’s signs that his temper and Haddock’s was getting ready to spill over.
“Maybe it would be a good idea if you go pick Tintin up, surely by now he’s ready” Mary Ann suggested with a mock smile. At the mention of going to check on Tintin Haddock’s anger was diverted.
“I think that is a great idea” Haddock commented enthusiastically.

“I second it!” Chester smiled to Haddock wanting to get away from Bob before he felt the urge to say some unpleasant comments to him or worse. Bob was basically a good man, but his ideals had a way of infuriating folks sometimes. Chester had even employed him on the Sirius in the past and some of his methods of work sometimes landed him in trouble. Chester had a couple of private discussions with Bob, but for some reason or another, they just didn’t stick.

Chester agreed that hard work was to be valued, but smart efficient work even more so. The tension between a couple of Chester’s crewmen had escalated to the point of some minor altercations which Bob suffered a black eye for his uncompromising ethics. During a meeting with his crew, Chester realized it was more than a couple of crewmen who had a problem with Bob’s methods.
Rather than demote or outright kick his brother-in-law off his ship, he decided to visit his sister and explain the situation; and luckily, she was well connected enough to help him get the current position he had on a fishing schooner. Skills were required, but on a small boat not an extreme amount of thought and hierarchy took place.

“Here” Mary Ann got up and picked her car keys off of the counter handing them to Chester.
“Thanks Mary,” Chester smiled.
“Don’t mention it, you blokes just don’t get into any mischief” Mary Ann winked.
“Let’s go Haddock,” Chester motioned.
“You don’t have to tell me twice” Haddock nodded emphatically.
“Do you know the way Enzo?” Chester asked him.
“I’m not sure I could remember now that it’s dark” Enzo replied unsure.
“Nathan you want to take a lift out for a bit?” Alyssa whispered to Nathan.
“That’s fine,” Nathan nodded.
“We’ll go with you” Alyssa volunteered herself and her husband.
“Well is everyone leaving us behind?” Bob asked giving them all a strange look.
“Not everyone…” Alyssa laughed pointing to Enzo.
“I’m not feeling so well, so I’m going to bed,” Enzo stood up stretching.
“It’s ok Bob, we can watch a little tele” Mary Ann suggested.
“I can go if all of you need me” Bob smiled.
“That won’t be necessary…” Chester replied almost immediately.

Chester led everyone out. “You drive since you know where it’s at” Chester handed Alyssa the keys getting in on the passenger side.
“How far is it from here?” Nathan asked.
“Maybe about fifteen, twenty minutes, not horribly far” Alyssa shrugged.
“Well let’s go!” Haddock said anxiously.
Alyssa started the car, turned on the lights, and they were off.

Alyssa began thinking about the chat that she and Lucille had privately. She knew that what she thought was really none of her business and gossiping like a busy body was unlike the way her mother had brought her up. She wanted to talk about it with someone; but, when she tried discuss it with her mom she would just tell her it’s none of their business and leave it at that. Alyssa never planned on saying anything but Lucille asked who Tintin lived with and if he was married. The secret Alyssa thought she knew was like an over flowing damn. Alyssa also noticed Captain Haddock wore the same kind of ring that Tintin wore. She noticed how Haddock seemed to be a bit on the overprotective side adding further to her suspicions. Alyssa could not hold her tongue and told Lucille her suspicions about Tintin’s and Haddock’s relationship. It was then Lucille shared with Alyssa the story about her own uncle.

A sinking feeling hit her stomach as she felt she betrayed Tintin. She hoped everything was ok and that she didn’t cause any damage for Tintin. Lucille seemed like an intelligent young lady and seemed very compassionate. When Alyssa felt sure that Lucille would not betray her trust she felt better.
“Is everything alright Alyssa?” Chester asked her as she seemed trained on the road not listening to a word anyone was saying.

“Oh, I’m fine…” she raised an eyebrow as she turned on to the road that led towards Ipswich.
A car approached flying down the opposite lane swerving back and forth.
“Alyssa, watch this guy!” Chester warned.
“That guy is drunk!” Haddock shouted.
Alyssa slowed down trying to avoid the other car, but as the car got closer it swerved back into their lane.

“Alyssa! Watch out!” Nathan shouted. Alyssa screamed as the car came barreling down the lane head on and she had to swerve off the road as Haddock and Nathan were thrown on top of one another. Chester luckily was wearing his seat belt like Alyssa. The car spun around facing the opposite way in the field.
“Gangsters! Hooligans! Morons! Misguided Missles!” Haddock poked his head out shaking his fists.
“What a bunch of ignorant buffoons!” Chester mumbled.
“Sorry Uncle…” Alyssa looked up as Haddock got off of Nathan who was pinned underneath him.
“How many bottles of whiskey did they drink?!” Nathan shook his head slightly stunned.
Alyssa tried to move the car out of the field but the wheels were spinning.
“Looks like we’re going to have to push this hunk of metal back in the road” Chester said after Alyssa’s third attempt to get back on the road. Haddock, Chester, and Nathan all got out behind the car.
“On the count of three, give it gas Alyssa!” Chester shouted.
“One, two, three, push!” Chester shouted.

Haddock, Chester, and Nathan gave it all they had as Alyssa’s wheels began spinning as fast as they could; and suddenly, the car went flying out in the road as Chester, Nathan, and Haddock fell into the dirt.
“Sorry!” Alyssa looked back from the window seeing the trio spitting out dirt brushing off their clothes.
“Never mind, let’s just go!” Haddock said slightly annoyed as they got back in the car.
“At least we’re all safe…” Alyssa sighed in relief.
“I wonder why Tintin just didn’t phone the house?” Nathan asked suspiciously.
“They don’t have a phone” Alyssa replied.
“Oh that would explain it” Nathan shrugged.
Haddock stayed quiet in the back intently watching the road noting the way.
“So Nathan, does Bob work really hard out there?” Chester asked curiously.

“He works as hard as anyone else… of course he and the captain of the schooner sometimes get in a row about where the best spot is sometimes or the amount of fish they catch. He’s just like that and probably won’t ever change” Nathan explained.
“Sounds about right…” Chester nodded.
It wasn’t much longer until they finally arrived.
“This is it?” Chester looked at the small house amazed to see a young couple have something fairly decent.
“This Benton must have a good job!” Haddock seemed a bit impressed.
“Lucille’s family is fairly well off and gave that house to them” Alyssa burst their bubble.
“Your mom and dad never gave us a house” Nathan laughed.
“Her parents did let you guys move back in” Chester pointed out.
“He was just joking Uncle Frederick” Alyssa gave her uncle a strange look realizing Chester wasn’t in a very joking mood as they got out of the car.

Last edited by Kole_Locke; 01-04-2013 at 05:59 PM..