View Single Post
Kole_Locke
(^._.^)ノ

Old 01-04-2013, 11:17 PM

CHAPTER 20 (PART - A)

Tintin and Haddock arrived in the harbor of Antwerp just a bit past after noon. More clouds were moving in and the winds began to pick up a little. The harbor was full of activity. Merchant ships were importing and exporting goods, while men in transfer trucks were busy loading and unloading cargo on the docks. People were shouting at one another from the ships, the cranes, and the trucks while others were busy tending their boots on the piers.

“We need to find a taxi soon captain” Tintin said noticing rain clouds.
“Where’s Hans when you need him” Haddock said remembering their last driver.
“Well we won’t find a taxi by just standing around on the docks, we may as well start looking” Tintin said looking around.
“Well landlubber let’s march!” Haddock prompted him as they began making their way walking into town with Snowy and Cocoa following. They walked several blocks without seeing a taxi.
“Heck with it! We may as well walk the rest of the way” Haddock said with frustration.

“There’s a taxi ahead!” Tintin noticed.
Haddock and Tintin rushed toward the taxi but a big woman and a tall man reached it first.
“Crumbs!” Tintin pouted.
“Maybe they are going the same route?” Haddock mentioned as they arrived.
“Excuse me sir and madam, but do you mind if we share the taxi?” Tintin asked politely.

The woman had a minx scarf wrapped around her neck while she was carrying a toy poodle. The man wore a sports jacket and had a long snobbish looking face.
“I don’t think there will be any room” the man replied.
“Fifi needs her space!” the big woman huffed.
Haddock examined the size of the taxi. It was not small, as a matter of fact, it was bigger than normal and there would have been room for Tintin in the back and Haddock could have sat up front.
“Boulderdash! You can make room for us!” Haddock said annoyed.
“I’m really sorry sir, but my wife and her poodle need their space” the man decided.
“Thank you Wilfred! Hmph!” the woman stuck her nose up.
The driver judged the space in his car, “Yea, there’s enough room, you two can get in too” the driver disagreed with the snobby couple.
The little poodle began growling at them and quickly Snowy and Cocoa made their presence known as Fifi quickly became quiet.

“Oh look, those two stray dogs have upset Fifi!” the woman complained.
Snowy and Cocoa began growling.
“I’m sorry mam, but those two ‘stray’ dogs belong to us!” Tintin replied sarcastically.
“Who cares…” the woman shook her head.
“Sir, I will pay you double the fare if you only allow us to ride” the snobby man replied.

The driver looked at the wad of cash the man began taking out of his wallet.
“I’m sorry sir, I’m in it to make money…” the driver looked apologetically to Tintin and Haddock.
“Blisterin’ Barnacles! I’ll pay you triple!” Haddock grunted.
The snobby couple looked at Haddock in surprise, “I’ll pay you four times the amount!” the snobby man replied.

The driver looked helplessly at Haddock once more.
“Again, I’m sorry, I cannot turn down such an offer mister” the driver frowned looking at Haddock.
“Some people have no consideration for others!” Tintin gave the two a disgruntled look.
“Fine! You take that overstuffed elephant and long necked giraffe and get them away from us! Don’t forget their ugly little squeak box!” Haddock blast out the driver. The couple gave an outraged look as they got in the car.
“Come on Tintin let’s go!” Haddock shouted storming off down the block as Tintin and their dogs followed.

Thirty minutes later they finally arrived back at the pub they had been a few days ago not far from Chester’s flat.
The pub was fairly empty with only a couple of patrons drinking around the bar.
“You!” a young man said rushing up to them with a serious look on his face.
Haddock and Tintin looked a bit startled at first as they took a seat at the bar while Snowy and Cocoa sat underneath them.
“You’re Caleb?” Tintin asked.
“Yes! We’ve been trying to reach you and Captain Chester…I called his sister’s house but she said all of you had already gone” he said anxiously.
“What’s wrong lad?” Haddock asked with concern.

“A man with a gaunt face with a black bandana and a man with a long nose and face wearing a black first mate’s hat came in talking about following Captain Chester. They also had two American sailors and a higher ranking US officer with them” Caleb expounded.
Haddock and Tintin immediately became concerned about their friends.
“Did you hear what their names were?” Tintin asked as the description sounded familiar.
“Gaspar…and…” Caleb rubbed his head thinking.
“That was Captain Chester’s old first mate, he was the one who tried to abduct Enzo thinking it was me” Tintin nodded.
Haddock almost impatiently was waiting for Caleb to come up with another name almost sure he thought he knew who else may have been involved.
“The other man’s name started with an ‘A’ I believe…” Caleb said trying to remember.

“Allan!” Haddock and Tintin exclaimed at the same time.
“Thunderin’ Typhoons! What’s that turncoat up to?!” Haddock exclaimed.
“Hopefully Mary Ann and Alyssa were able to get in touch with Chester and Enzo and make them aware they may be following them too” Tintin shook his head.
“I think Chester can hold his own… we’d best not waste much more time and see what the professor wants so we can get back over there” Haddock agreed.
“They may be waiting for us back near Marlinspike” Tintin guessed.
Tintin took out his wallet and found Hanz number. “Caleb, can you call this cab driver for us, we need to get to the train station quickly” Tintin asked.
“Sure” he said taking the card.

“I hope nothing happens between now and then…” Tintin covered his mouth.
“You and me both lad!” Haddock agreed.
“Please be careful when you leave” the woman behind the bar advised.
“Thanks madam” Tintin smiled.
The bartender poured them both a mug of ale and she put her hands up. “Don’t worry, just be careful and make sure you warn Captain Chester” she mentioned.
“We’ll do our best” Tintin nodded.
“Thank you!” Haddock and Tintin nodded graciously as Caleb brought Tintin back his card a moment later.
“He said he will be here in fifteen minutes” Caleb nodded.
“We appreciate your kindness” Haddock acknowledged him.
Haddock took a long drink as Tintin slowly raised the mug to his lips while Haddock watched him take a nice healthy gulp. Haddock took one more gulp smiling always happy to see Tintin drink with him which was a rare occurrence.

Last edited by Kole_Locke; 01-11-2013 at 02:26 AM..