Thread: SHORT STORIES!
View Single Post
InsiDoubt
(-.-)zzZ

Old 06-18-2011, 06:27 PM

This story is called Silence. I'm probably gonna write more in the same universe eventually. Anyway, here it is!

The infection had spread. I was the only one left in the city. The infection had killed everyone around me. All those who I knew, all those who I cared about, had perished from the infection. Me though, I had been smart, escaped infection and being found, and now, it was all almost over. I had received a transmission over the radio three days earlier, the government was coming to save the city.

Keeping to the rooftops of my urban city, I slowly made my way to the rendezvous, the helipad on top of the hospital. As I had learned, the airborne form of the sickness was cooler than the air around it and thus, it sunk. The sickness also took its place in water infestation, but that was easy to avoid. The blood transmitted form however, was another story altogether. The sickness caused mental rot, the difference between right and wrong evaporated, and strength and agility were increased. No one new exactly what had caused the sickness, but it existed and wrought terror.

I lost my footing as I attempted to leap from building to building, and fell. Almost. My left hand twisted behind me and caught a ledge, saving my life and breaking my arm. I'm soooooo dead! I thought. Luckily, I hadn’t let go of the ledge I was holding when my arm broke. It took me half an hour to get back up on the rooftops. The night was almost over.

The infected slept during the night, just as they did when human, except for the fact that as soon as the sun went down, they were dead. Not dead dead but dead asleep. I only had two more hours to find a hiding spot for the day. My left arm hanging at my side I dragged myself on top of a building with no access from the ground to the roof. I was lucky, buildings like this one were hard to find. They made a natural fortress against the infected because even though they were fast and strong, they had little control over their extremities. I laid down on the shingled roof and was quickly asleep, my left arm throbbing in pain.
I woke with a start. A shout from below alerted me to the fact that several of the infected were attempting to break my building.
“C’mon down now, we wont hurt you!” they shouted to me. I looked at the damage they were doing to the wall and realized it wouldn’t hold for much longer. I stood and looked around me. My building was very close to two others, one green one red. The ground beneath me began to give and I ran desperately towards the red one, leaped and landed. I relaxed, danger seemingly over. Then I remembered what I had thought to myself before sleeping. The red building would make a nice place for a trap, I gotta be careful. Lo and behold the stairwell gushed with infected. Suddenly I realized where I was, two miles from the hospital, forty-five minutes from the arrival of salvation.

Without waiting for the infected to catch me I sprinted from building to building, throwing anything I could find into the path behind me. I needed every advantage I could get. Still running I instinctively looked for a weapon. A fire axe was lying on the ledge of one of the buildings. As I neared it, I saw it was soaked in blood. Its last user had probably been as fortunate as I was, or decided to take his own life. I snatched it up as I jumped off the building.

They were so close, and still gaining. Then, the worst thing that could have happened did, I tripped. I mashed my nose on the ground; it felt like a hand grenade going off in my face. When I got back up, the infected were even closer. I cursed whatever “god” there was and continued to pick my way through the maze of roofs. Another three hundred feet and I’d be safe. It was not to be. One of the infected tackled me and once again I fell to the ground. I rolled to the side, taking my axe in my right hand, my left hanging useless at my side. To my surprise, there was only one infected. The others I presumed, had either been killed by this one or, they had fallen. It stared at me crookedly, cocked its head and said

“Are you the last one?” it asked. A bit taken aback, I replied:
“I dunno maybe.”
“I hope so” it said and began to move towards me. I swung the axe, which connected with its shoulder and cut a giant gash across its torso. It didn’t even look fazed as it leaped at me. Barely fast enough I dodged with a roll to the left. Then, with speed I couldn’t even follow it hurled itself at me and brought its fist into my face.

I was totally dizzy when I landed, and had no idea where I was. I faintly realized there was a beeping noise.
“What a reward I’ll get for the last one” someone said and then laughed. “ Ooh and he’s kinda tough too” something about that sentence pissed me off. “My master will be thrilled to see you” I managed to groan at him. Real effective. I had no regrets, death was a welcome compared to the horror of being infected. The only thing I wished was a little different about my death was the noise; I wanted it to be quiet when I died. Instead there was a chk chk chk chk chk noise. The wind around me rose, and the noise then became deafening. A gunshot rang out and there was a thump from behind me. I turned to look at what happened.

There, standing in full clad black was the rescue party. They shot all the remaining infected around. I crawled over to one of them, begging for him to notice me. Begging for salvation. And notice me he did, he turned his head and looked down at me. I smiled and said
“Thank you” there seemed to be a disturbance in the air, and the man’s radio sounded: “there are to be no survivors.” Instantly the gun was on my forehead and the soldier pulled the trigger. At least it was quiet.

Comments and questions and other helpful things are much appreciated :)

Last edited by InsiDoubt; 06-18-2011 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: It looked odd