View Single Post
Kisu
When Did I Become This?

Old 01-01-2015, 11:56 PM

Mannik felt that strange mix of anger and sympathy to the girl. He tugged her from the window, as usual, rather brisk. "You just don't get it do you?" He found himself growled, pushing her against the wall. His hands moved to the wall besides her head, one on either side, supporting him. The window wasn't a safe place to be. It was likely that a few citizens of Below would be looking for her tonight, and if Above decided to do a surprise raid, away from the windows was definitely a good idea. "I'm not saying your life is perfect. Everyone has problems. Even that pompous jerk on the screen back there has problems in his life! What I'm saying is...you don't know what it's like, to be forced away from something like the sun. To constantly be worried that the one person in your life who actually give a damn about you will be shot because she wants to make the world a little better. To..." Mannik sighed, dropping his head.

"Why am I telling you this?" He muttered to himself, shaking his head. He answered himself as well. "You get under my skin, so easily!" Mannik raised his head, eyeing the girl, trying to explain again. "I don't blame any of you up there for splitting us in half. I blame you all for not caring enough to do something about it now. Everyone always looks the other way when we are treated wrongly. No one cares!"

"Despite how you look at me most of the time, I've been far nicer to you than people are to our people on Seven! You got food, despite that fact that I didn't have much, you were free to walk around and speak. You haven't been expected to do any sort of service for me. I haven't raped you." Mannik paused, eyeing the female. Without noticing, his tongue darted out, running over his dry lips quickly. "Hell, maybe I should have. It's probably the only reason Imhoff wanted you with me, knowing I wouldn't jeopardize the mission, and it's common enough up there. Give them back their goods a little soiled!"

As soon as the threat left his mouth, Mannik felt horrible. He turned away from the girl, dropping his hands back to his sides. "I didn't mean..." He attempted to apologize. The words wouldn't leave Mannik's mouth, however, and the male groaned, running a hand through his hair. "Just stay here. Don't leave. If the purifier shuts off, put your mask on. Make sure it's sealed."

Mannik strode from the building, unsure if he was still angry at Above's people, or at himself. While hitting her had never crossed his mind, that had. Mannik felt rather ashamed. He needed to do something to apologize to her. That was a horrible thing to say, and it was worse because it had really been on his mind. Mannik felt like he had pushed too far. He'd get her a few items of clothing, as a sort of apology. She'd be safe enough in the building. He'd even moved some rubble, so the area where Adelmar was pretty much unreachable. Mannik hadn't intended to go out, however, he couldn't stay in the small room with the girl now.

When he returned to his home, he wasn't surprised to find many people gathered around the entrance. He felt a stab of pride: None of them had been able to get in. It went away quickly as he was approached by a rather young man. "Where is she?"

"None of your business." Mannik responded, much more calm than he felt.

The man motioned behind him, the people around him all looking angry and almost all of them having weapons. "It is every single person's business! One of us was already executed because of her, and they aren't going to give us anything for her. We will send her body back, then!"

Mannik spoke as he used his body to cover the door, pushing various buttons and waiting for it to slide back. "What would that accomplish? And he shot at her. If that was the punishment delt out, then it was." As he'd predicted, the angriest of the people followed him. He wasn't worried that they would hurt him, however. These were his people. He turned away, digging through the pile of clothing. He found very few items that would actually fit the female, so instead tried for clean and warm. Again, it was rather hard to locate, but he did. Then Mannik took the small square item that contained water, and the last of his roots. He wanted to take a blanket. It was going to be rather cold tonight, if he was to judge from last night. But, there was no way he could carry all of it.

He hefted the items into his arms, and turned around. The man had moved much closer, their faces almost touched. Mannik hadn't even heard him. Pain was spreading around his midsection, however, and the soldier couldn't help but to grunt. His emerald eyes dropped, staring at the knife in the man's hand. The end was buried into his body. Not wanting to struggle with the man, Mannik raised his gun. A second later, the man laid dead. The others in the room could have easily shot Mannik, but most of them were rather close with either the soldier, or Commander Imhoff.

They let him pass, and it took Mannik a bit longer to get back to Adelmar, partially because he wanted to make sure no one was trailing him, and partially because his stomach felt like it was on fire. Soon, however, he was pulling the rubble away, and climbing back to the room.

In the room, he was barely aware enough to look around for the female. Instead, he dropped the items, tugging the roots he had wrapped up from his pocket and setting them on top, before moving to a corner of the room, leaning against the wall and sliding down it. He needed to tend to his wound. He hadn't wanted to remove the knife before, fairly certain it would have made him bleed even more, and then he wouldn't have been able to make it back. Now, however, he gripped the knife, and grit his teeth, before tugging it out in one smooth stroke.

It felt like fire, and Mannik closed his eyes, wanting to scream. Once that urge was passed, he let his mouth fall open, panting heavily. Trying to move as little as possible, he removed his jacket and shirt, bunching the shirt up and pressing it against his wound. It didn't seem to do much good, however, and within a few seconds the shirt was soaked.