View Single Post
psyrien
(っ◕‿◕)っ ♥

Old 07-23-2007, 09:06 PM

32. Denial

"Love him? Why should I? I know nothing more than his name," Chi said quite reasonably.

"Ah, but you know that he is enchanting as well. Do you deny it?"

Well, the stranger had been rather unlike all others. Perhaps it had been the way that he spoke to her. Perhaps it had simply been in his manner. He was a very charming person--or at least that was so when flirting.

The court lady watched Chi's face, and she smiled. "So you do find him enchanting."

Chi snapped out of her reverie. "I do not!" Her face, half obscured by a mask, reddened. "I'll admitt that he is different, but--"

"You're in denial, sweetheart." The court lady waved away the fact like a commonplace fly. "But," the lady leaned close, "what are you going to do if he's not one of us?"

"One of us?"

"You know." The lady straightened her own mask even though it had been set immaculately upon her head. "He could've been from the otherside. Anyone can come to these balls."

Chi pressed her lips together. She hadn't thought about that. What if she were to never see that enchanting stranger again--?

No! She shook her head fiercely. It wouldn't matter if she didn't see him again because there was nothing between them besides a charming smile and a...

"Arwgh."

"See, I told you. Denial."