View Single Post
SeaSaltEyes
Professional Napper

Old 08-05-2014, 06:01 PM

I haven't read any of the books you mentioned but Ash has been on my reading list for quite some time now. It depends on what genre you're looking to read I guess. When I was in high school, right after I came out of the closet, (around freshman year) I was really into Julie Anne Peters. Most of her books are YA realistic fiction. Like Far From Xanadu, Between Mom and Jo, Luna, Keeping You A Secret (which was the literature representation of my high school relationship) grl2grl and Define "Normal". I've read all of those and really liked them but I feel her writing gets a little stagnant the more you read it. The stories are nice though. If you're looking for something a little more serious and a little less love story try Stone Butch Blues by Leslie Feinberg. I read it for a gender studies class my first semester of college and LOVED IT. It's a good story but it's also heavy with politics of the pre-Stonewall era. I also read Rubyfruit Jungle by Rita Mae Brown in that class too. That's another good one. There are others I've read but I don't remember much about, just that I liked them enough to use them for book recommendations on Goodreads, haha. Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan, Parrotfish by Ellen Wittlinger, Empress of the World by Sara Ryan, Rainbow Boys by Alex Sanchez (that one's a series but I never got to the rest of the books), Dare Truth or Promise by Paula Boock, and The IHOP Papers by Ali Liebgott.

I know this was a lot of books but they're all ones that I've had a good experience with that you could classify as queer fiction.

If these don't work for you or it's not what you're looking for you should sign up for Goodreads (actually just do it anyways I LOVE Goodreads). You can search for specific books or genres and rate books and it will give you suggestions. Plus you can add your friends on it and see what they're reading and what they've rated books. If you sign up you should PM me so we can be friends on Goodreads!

Sorry for this post being so lengthy! I hope you found some use in it!