View Single Post
ghostPastry
👻🧁

Old 10-24-2015, 05:11 PM

Responding again because I'm taking an LGBT Lit class and I've got some really good ones now:
Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin
---Written and (I think?) set in the 50s, this one's about an American man living in Paris, struggling with his feelings towards men and the stigma around that, as well as the impending tragedy facing his male love interest.
Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters (happy ending!)
---Set in Victorian England, about a fishmonger's daughter who falls in love with a "male-impersonator" (drag king) and follows her to London, eventually joining the show as a drag king herself.
Oranges are not the Only Fruit by Jeannette Winterson
---I've only just started reading this one, but it's about an orphan who was adopted by a very strict, religious mother, and has to cope with her sexuality conflicting with her family's spirituality.
Faith Healer of Olive Avenue by Manuel Muñoz
---Several short stories, centered on Chican@s, poverty, family, and gayness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Femme View Post
Whipping Girl is great, I actually got to meet Julia, they are an amazing human!! <3

And that last one sounds super great, I'll look into it! Thanks~! :)
No way, that's so cool! I'd love to meet Julia. I've met Laverne Cox, Janet Mock, and Kate Bornstein, and I had a class with Matt Kailey when he was alive... oh, and I'm about to meet Mara Kiesling (of the national center for trans equality), which I'm pretty excited for!

Last edited by ghostPastry; 10-24-2015 at 05:14 PM..