View Single Post
Kole_Locke
(^._.^)ノ

Old 12-07-2012, 05:33 AM

CHAPTER 8 (PART - B) end of chapter 8

Dear Professor Calculus & Nestor,
I wrote to inform you that Captain Haddock and I are in Colchester England at 778 Boxted Road and safe. We would also like for you to get in touch with Thomson & Thompson and let them know where we are at. I sent you this telegram because we have reason to think the phones there and possibly the office precinct may be tapped. We have had a couple of altercations since we left home. The first was a random purse thief, and the last was in Antwerp as we were attacked by a group of sailors while another tried to kidnap a friend. We met up with Captain Chester again who took us across the North Sea in his yacht the Shooting Star. I don’t know how long we will stay. The captain told me not to get used to being comfortable here at Captain Chester’s sister’s house which is where we are presently at. His seafaring intuition usually tends to be not too far off the mark. I hope both of you are safe and sound as I have been concerned for both of your safety. I kind of wonder if leaving the manor was such a good idea. I’m going to close for now but hope to see you both soon
Your Friend Always – Tintin

Tintin finished his long telegram, “This is going to be expensive!” he thought taking out his wallet to count how much money he actually brought with him. He counted almost eight hundred Belgian Francs, “I hope I don’t run out of money” he thought because he hated how anytime he and captain went out it was always Haddock who insisted on paying the bill. This really made Tintin feel too dependent at times. Tintin would even secretly put money in Haddock’s wallet; but Haddock would always end up taking him out and would spend it on him.

Tintin would even go to lengths such as buying groceries for the estate and adding them to the cupboard thus confusing Nestor when he would run into town to buy food. Tintin would occasionally give Nestor small tips here and there when Haddock was not around, but Nestor would sometimes refuse them further infuriating Tintin when it came to their financial affairs. Tintin knew money meant nothing to Haddock in the grand scheme of it all and Tintin knew it and it made him try even harder to shoulder some of the responsibilities.

“Mr. Tintin” a woman’s voice spoke outside his room.
“Alyssa?” Tintin opened the door.
“Mum’s waiting for you downstairs. “Tell her I’ll be down in just a minute” he closed the door as Alyssa returned to her mom.
“Captain, I’m going to town with Mary Ann to send a telegram back home” he bent over the captain as he as lightly snoozing.
The captain slowly opened his eyes, “You keep that reporter inside you on a leash you hear?” he said throwing an arm around Tintin as Tintin planted a gentle kiss on his forehead.
“I’m just going to town, no adventures, I promise” Tintin smiled as Haddock gave him a scrutinizing glare then slowly gave way to a warm smile.
“Ok, but be careful…” Haddock let him go and watched Tintin as he gracefully left the room.

Tintin, Mary Ann, and Alyssa left the house shortly after. The closer they got to town, the more congested the streets became.
“So Tintin, how long have you known Archie?” Mary Ann asked as he sat in the back with Snowy on his lap.
“Almost nine years” Tintin confirmed.

“Wow, and how old are you now?” Mary Ann asked again.
“Twenty-five” Tintin answered watching the landscape and the buildings around as they passed by.
“Frederick tells me you guys have travelled the world extensively, later this evening we would love to hear about it” Mary Ann changed the subject to Tintin’s relief.
“Of course, I’d be more than happy to tell you all about, and if you want to get stuff out of the captain, give him a bottle of whiskey and he’s a walking story book” Tintin laughed.
“I’ll have to remember that…my brother is the same, one night we will make him tell the tales” Mary Ann and Alyssa giggled.
“I know the bankers in town, I can get you more money if you let me make the exchange” Mary Ann pointed out.
“Sure, I have four hundred Belgian Francs I’d like to change” Tintin replied. Mary Ann took the money and parked at the local bank.
“You know that the Belgian Franc isn’t worth much here” Alyssa informed him
“Yea I know” Tintin replied sadly.

The people bustling in town were too busy to notice Tintin or Alyssa sitting in Mary Ann’s small car as Tintin held Snowy to keep him from attracting too much attention to them. Ten minutes later Mary Ann emerged from the bank and handed Tintin his money.
“A little over two quid… it’s not too bad considering the currency you brought” she smiled.
“It should last you awhile…Nathan used to work almost sixty hours a week and bring home about two quid” Alyssa replied.
“I need to go to the farmer’s market nearby. The post office isn’t too far ahead. Alyssa you will know where to find me once Tintin mails his telegram” Mary Ann instructed.

Mary Ann wandered toward the farmer’s market while Tintin and Alyssa went to the post office. The post office wasn’t busy as only a few people were dropping off letters to be sent off. The telegram had indeed cost a bit more than Tintin anticipated; but, he paid it willingly wanting it to get quickly to its destination. Alyssa took notice as a couple of weird stares were drawn their way. One man in particular carrying a sack of letters behind the counter gave Alyssa and Tintin a strange look; but Alyssa thought perhaps it was because they saw her with a different man.

“So what does everyone around here do for fun?” Tintin asked.
“I read, but my husband and my father, go down to the local pub in the evening to socialize” she explained as they left the post office making their way to the farmer’s market.
“I know where Captain Haddock and Chester will be” Tintin smirked.
“Not surprising, Enzo probably too, Uncle Frederick really took a liking to him since he started” Alyssa noted.
“He told me he lost his father when he was younger so he basically supports the family with his wages” Tintin replied.
“Aye, Uncle Frederick has a big heart like Uncle Archie as you know…” Alyssa became quiet as Snowy suddenly began to growl but because of the crowd Tintin didn’t hear Snowy’s warning.
Tintin could not discern the inflection in her voice if she was being sincere or sarcastic since he knew about her financial difficulties. Alyssa turned around briefly seeing a couple of guys who did not look friendly.
“What’s wrong?” Tintin whispered.
“Keep walking and don’t turn around” she whispered back taking his arm leading him into the now crowded farmer’s market. “Call your dog” Alyssa whispered.
“Snowy, come on boy!” Tintin prompted him and Snowy quickly caught back up.
“Was someone following us?” Tintin wanted to turn around.
“I’m not sure but I didn’t like the stares we got from the post office mail sorter earlier” she mentioned. She turned around one more time and the two men were gone. Tintin finally turned around but saw nothing out of the ordinary.
“What do you think those men wanted” Tintin asked curiously.
“Better not to find out…” Alyssa replied. “Mum’s just up ahead!” Alyssa said leading Tintin through the crowd.
Mary Ann was already walking towards them with two sacks of various vegetables in each arm.
“So did you get that letter sent off” Mary Ann asked as Tintin took one of her big sacks in his arms.
“Yes, we did” Tintin smiled.
“Then let’s go home cause I need to get lunch ready” Mary Ann said as they began to make their way back to the car.
“Oi! ---It’s so--- sho—tin!” Tintin heard a man’s voice a ways away cry out over the crowd. Tintin looked around but Mary Ann and Alyssa prompted Tintin to get in the car.
“A wise man walks the other way when trouble approaches” Mary Ann commented as she started the car and they drove off. Tintin looked through the back window unable to make out two men who seemed to be looking for someone, perhaps him.

When they arrived back at the house Mary Ann and Alyssa began to prepare lunch in the kitchen quick and efficiently. “I think your mates are outside” Alyssa commented. Tintin realized staying in and helping them that he would probably get in their way so he walked out the back door.

“Come on Snowy, let’s see what the captains are up to” Tintin said enthusiastically.
“I’m all for fresh air” Snowy barked.
He saw Captain Chester and Haddock busy working in the back yard tilling a small plot of land for a garden each with a hoe in their hand. Enzo was busy collecting eggs and cleaning the chicken coop.
“Ahoy landlubber! Get over here and help us you whimpersnapper” Haddock laughed. Tintin walked over observing the area they were tilling a thirty by ten yard plot. They were clearing all the dead plants and debris out from the previous year.
“You’re going to have to earn your keep here mate” Chester grinned while he tilled.
Both Haddock and Chester were wearing gray tank tops and their sailor pants, and both looked pretty sweaty. Enzo had finally emerged from with a broom in his hand cleaning the coop. He too wore a gray tank top. They had already tilled a fourth of the area.
“I got you a tank top upstairs, for you too, Haddock put it on the daybed for you. You don’t want to get your casual clothing soiled” Chester suggested.
“Right!” Tintin sighed.
“Is something wrong?” Haddock noticed Tintin appeared a bit flustered.
“Uh no, it’s nothing captain” Tintin said disappearing back into the house as Snowy ran off.
“He’ll be back…” Tintin thought but knew Snowy would be fine where they were out in the countryside. He found the gray tank top and changed out of his clothes, “Some vacation this is going to be! May as well make the best of it” he thought returning back outside.

The day was long and lunch was not ready until almost three O’clock. Tintin wasn’t used to this kind of manual labor so a break was more than welcome. Enzo seemed to work tirelessly as he too joined them as they plowed the ground manually. Lunch was a nice pot roast Mary Ann prepared with beans and mashed potatoes. Luckily the milk man had come buy so they had three glass bottles of milk in the icebox.

Shortly after eating they were back at it again until they finally finished tilling the soil for the day which was about half the plot. By the time they were finished Tintin felt like he was about to keel over. It was almost six thirty by the time they were done. Tintin ate a couple of apples and retired upstairs to get a shower. Two hours later a small truck finally pulled in the driveway. Bob and Nathan had finally arrived home.

Tintin had already gotten a shower and was reading a good book. Being the good guest he was to be polite even though he was already in his pajamas. The television was on and Chester and Haddock were still sitting with Mary Ann, and Alyssa as a short burly man with sandy blond hair and long sideburns has already joined them. Another young man was pouring himself a shot of rum. He was about Enzo’s height but just a bit more muscular. He wore a red toboggan as tufts of brown hair protruded around.
“Ah, so you’re Tintin!” Mary Ann’s husband Bob greeted with a firm handshake.
“Well met Tintin, Nathan here” Nathan nodded and shook Tintin’s hand as well.
“I’m sorry folks, but we had to move and lost a good fishing spot due to some inconsiderate merchant ship” Bob explained. “They must have dumped something off their ship because we didn’t get anything for hours afterwards. We had to move due north west in our schooner and we barely caught enough” Bob sighed.
“How close were you to it?” Chester asked.
“Close enough that we had to move out of the way, they could have avoided us, but it seemed as if they came straight for us” Nathan shook his head in disgust.
“Did any of you manage to get the name of the ship?” Haddock asked.
“The Sea Serpent I believe” Bob answered.
“What did it look like?” Tintin finally spoke up.
“The entire hull was black, it had multiple decks. It was fairly big” Nathan answered this time.
“It was heading due south, perhaps towards London?” Bob suggested. “We called the HM Customs and reported it but so far nothing” Bob finished.
“Odd indeed” Tintin thought.
“I saw what you guys did in the backyard! It looks good! You guys going to finish the work tomorrow?” Bob complemented.
“Ya darned right we are!” Haddock nodded. “Anytime to help family!” Chester chimed in.
“Cheers” everyone toasted.

“Yea…” Tintin smiled sheepishly thinking how his back is going to hurt the next day. Tintin saw how Enzo was already dozing off on the sofa and how boisterous everyone else was. Tintin sat down on the sofa watching the television but the news was not on. He began reflecting on the today’s events wondering if there was a connection, but could not find one. So he decided to join the rest of them even though he really just wanted to go to bed.

Last edited by Kole_Locke; 12-07-2012 at 02:11 PM..