View Single Post
sadrain
Ghost Caracal

Old 02-13-2014, 09:08 PM

The way Mannik woke her up... It was like her mind was murky waters that he was stirring up with a stick. Of course, it was not intentional and Adelmar realized that, but the way he called her left bitter taste in her mouth. She tried to swallow it and chase away the resentment, but didn't manage to and her eyes shot towards him, staring with intensity that could nearly burn holes in flesh. "Next time you call me 'girl', I will not respond in any way. I don't care if you call me 'thing', 'it', 'prisoner' or whatever, just not that."

"What did the girl do again?" her father would ask, despite her being in the same room. Or "Call the girl" when she wasn't. And then of course there were Do what you are told to, girl. I don't want to look at you, girl, leave. DO NOT SPEAK TO ME IN THAT TONE, GIRL... For her, that one word was more of an insult than anything anyone else could spit at her. That one word crushed her mood easily, made her feel worthless and disgusting. No one else would have the right to have that word against her, the dagger that made her bleed invisibly.

When he refused to give her hairpins, she grimaced, but didn't object. There was no point, was there? She brushed her fingers over the lace along bottom of her dress and found seam which she tore at. After a short struggle, one end was open and gritting her teeth, Adelmar tore it all off. It was crude thing to do, but efficient enough. It's not like 'prison guard' would trust her with scissors or knife and the less she had to ask, the better she felt. Girl braided her hair quickly and used lace as ribbon at end to keep it together. It was too long and bow was large, stiff. But it would have to do.

She ate in silence, washing some bites down with water. Her thoughts mulled around her head, back and forth. Random, pointless memories in mix of ideas about what she could do or what was ahead of her. Until suddenly, Adelmar broke silence with seemingly pointless question: "Do you know what chess is?" She didn't even look at at Mannik, but kept staring at her plate with a bit of food on it left. Simply because she had to, girl forced herself to finish it as well.

After meal, she carefully strapped on her mask and followed Mannik. She would let him blindfold her obediently, as there was little use in resisting. At least cloth didn't dig directly in her skin... Not that wearing this mask was any more comfortable.

Last edited by sadrain; 02-13-2014 at 09:12 PM..