View Single Post
Jeryck
NPC
NPC

Old 05-08-2008, 10:29 PM

The first I shall post to share with you is not one from Sir Keane's books yet at all, but rather a tale I heard myself when I first came to Menewsha. I have, of course, told Sir Keane of the legend, and I am sure it will appear there as well.

---

The Legend of the Mountain

A local legend, it was said that there were three spirits who controlled the magic of Menewsha. One was considered the good spirit, who represented greatness and kindness. But the good spirit was not always great and good. It too had inner turmoil. The second spirit was evil, often playing on the troubles of the people and wrecking havoc on the town. The third spirit was considered neither good nor evil - a neutral sort. A trickster. It seemed to enjoy pitting the good and evil spirits against one another and watching the battle that always ensued, whether it was physical, mental or spiritual.

One Hallow's Eve, as a storm raged over the island, the three spirits stumbled upon one another in a cave carved into the side of a mountain. But "stumbled upon" couldn't have been more inappropriate. Some might have called it fate. But that wasn't the case either - the trickster spirit had secretly intervened, making the good and evil spirits to come together. He smiled amusedly as the good spirit attempted to show the evil that the world of goodness and light was a much more fulfilling existence. But the evil spirit attempted to tempt good toward evil, showing him the fun in darkness and treachery.

In the shadows off to one side of the cave, a tall, stooped figure in a hooded black robe watched with disdain as the good and evil spirits fought. He had been waiting for such a showdown and quickly ran to his room within the cave, grabbing the talisman he had forged for just this purpose. He quickly moved back toward the main cavern and faced the spirits, feeling the adrenaline rush through his body. He lifted the talisman with both hands into the air and began to chant.

M-sha mon-yet. Wa-san pul-ett!¯

The air within the cave began to swirl and all three spirits turned to look at him with surprise in their eyes as their forms began to meld with the swirling air. The hooded man's arms began to shake violently as the three spirits seemed to be drawn into the talisman, their bodies seemingly sucked inward. The room resounded with screams of protest from all three spirits, but it was the evil spirit who smiled wickedly at the cowled figure and howled a warning at him.

"I'll get you for this!" it hissed as all three were pulled inside the talisman and locked away.

Exhausted, but not finished, the stooped man sat the talisman near the wall of the main cavern and began waving his arms and resumed his chanting once more. With a loud rumble, the rock seemed to become liquid, moving up around the edges of the talisman and seemingly swallowing it. Eventually, the liquid rock completely covered the talisman, and the stone reformed, rising up to form a pedestal.

The hooded man then returned to his room and retrieved a stone tablet, and with after a few more incantations, the tablet was sealed into the wall of the cavern.

Below, in the small town of Menewsha, the townsfolk felt the ground shake and fled inside their homes for shelter. The earthquake lasted mere seconds, but once the shaking had stopped, they felt somehow different but couldn't quite put their finger on what the difference was. But they quickly realized what was missing when all items created and forged from magic crumbled to dust and blew away on the strong winds of the storm, to be forgotten.

The hooded figure who had trapped the spirits inside of the talisman remained to ensure that the seal was never broken and that magic would never be loose in Menewsha again.

Last edited by Car'a'Carn; 11-09-2018 at 07:54 PM..