View Single Post
salvete
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ

Old 11-11-2014, 03:55 AM

~*Volunteering*~

Over the weekend, I enjoyed volunteering with a local park! We raked leaves onto tarps to make into compost, then planted daffodil bulbs in the ground! We used pointy shovels to pierce holes into the dirt, dug wells that were six inches deep, then filled them a bit with compost from last year. We dug six-inch deep holes to ensure that the daffodil bulbs would be below the frostline and survive the winter without freezing and dying. We then planted four to five daffodil bulbs in each hole (because the holes were rather wide), then covered them with dirt and more compost before patting everything down.

Because it was a very dusty and busy service activity, I was unable to take many photos of our bulbs. So, here are some images I found on the Internet:

The bulbs looked like little onions:

And I am so excited to revisit the park in the spring to see the daffodils that sprout!

As an aside, squirrels like to eat tulip bulbs. That's why we planted daffodils.

Also, monarch butterflies only eat milkweed. That's why milkweed can be found in many butterfly gardens.

Just some fun facts I learned from the park staff and volunteers! I loved working with them!!

Last edited by salvete; 11-11-2014 at 04:17 AM..