View Single Post
Aliena
(^._.^)ノ

Old 04-14-2007, 02:37 AM

I just watched this movie on one of my Cinemax channels called "A Sound of Thunder." It caught my eye because the description said it was based upon a story by Ray Bradbury and when I turned to it, I immediately remembered reading this short story in a book called "Dinosaur" in which a futuristic time travel tour/safari company would take people on safaris to shoot prehistoric creatures and stuff that were just about to die anyhow. And they had to stay on this path and make sure not to touch anything else around them.

SPOILERS AND STUFF:

Well, one guy stepped on a butterfly and in the book, there were a few changes in the present then, like the guy who won the election and a few other things. It's actually the basis for the whole "butterfly effect" thing, I believe. But in the movie, it was completely different! The stepping on the butterfly caused "time waves" or ripples of evolutionary change so you got these baboonosauruses and huge insects and weird plants and stuff and the lead character had to figure out a way to go back in time to prevent the butterfly from being stepped on. Let's just say the movie was incredibly loosely based on the story - same premise, same characters, but other than that, completely different!

It was enjoyable, though the effects were a bit on the cheesy side. It was kind of a B movie, I thought. And I normally don't compare movies to their book counterparts, but the whole time, I was like, "I don't remember that happening in the story!" I went on wikipedia and did read that it received all sorts of criticisms for not respecting its source material. lol

So, all in all, I'd give it a 3/5. Fun, cheesy, lil' movie.