View Single Post
Kole_Locke
(^._.^)ノ

Old 02-12-2013, 12:45 AM

CHAPTER 33 (PART - A)

Benton sat at home alone Friday night trying to keep his mind occupied, but to no avail. He turned on the television in hope of just letting the mindless programs take him away. Finally Benton took a small pint bottle he had hidden for occasions like these to help put him out so he could sleep. He was sick of the inner chatter in his head. The gin finally granted his wish and he fell asleep on the sofa. It wasn’t long before the sound of the horn of Eric’s truck woke him once again.

Benton jumped up with a start. Since he didn’t change into anything comfortable to sleep in the night before he only needed to put on his boots, grab his coat, and dash out the door. Eric was waiting patiently.

“That was quicker than usual. Did you sleep in your clothes again?” Eric asked guessing that to be the case.
“Got a lot on my mind Eric, just want to forget it so I can focus on what I need to do” Benton sighed.
“Don’t worry, you two have been married for almost six years now and have two children…she’s not going to leave you mate” Eric blew off Benton’s worry.
“Wherever you got that jolly good feeling at, I need it too ha!” Benton finally smiled.
“Here, have a swig of this!” Eric said handing him a small flask.

“What’s this?” Benton asked as Eric drove.
“It’s rum, but it’s really good!” Eric laughed.
Benton took a smell then a small sip. “Not bad…” he nodded taking another then handing it back to Eric.
They arrived shortly at the wharf and prepared for a half day of work. The captain and the other two guys were still preparing the boat to go out.
“At least you guys are on time today” one of them commented.
“What are you talking about? We’ve only been late a time or two… but usually here right on the dot” Eric retorted.
“Ok men, let’s catch some fish, the more fish we catch the more your pay will be today!” Captain Falls announced.
Everyone nodded and quickly got their little schooner ready to go out to sea. Eric and Benton worked hard without saying as much as two words, just a nod and remained silent. As they set off two men stood a short distance watching them set off.

“So that’s the famous Tintin we are going to grab later” Mikhail replied.
“Yes, that’s him, we need to watch and make sure we don’t miss him” Ivan nodded.
“Let’s go get something to drink, surely they aren’t going to be back for at least two hours” Mikhail reasoned.
“If Allan is right about his source they will be back by lunch time, so let’s be waiting discreetly nearby before lunch” Ivan suggested.
“Where are Allan and Tom?” Mikhail asked.
“They are making preparations on other matters that he didn’t share with me” Ivan answered.
“I wonder what they could be doing?” Mikhail wondered.
“I don’t care, as long as we capture Tintin our boss will be happy, Allan will be happy, and most importantly Lento’s boss will be happy” Ivan explained.
“Well great, let’s go get a drink” Mikhail said walking away as they waited for the pub to open.

XXXXXXXX

Their day consisted of catching a few bundles of fish, but nothing substantial, something that can be sold to the local pubs and some of the fish stands that weren’t fishermen. The amount of fish they caught wasn’t what Captain Falls had hoped for. The winds had picked up a bit and the sea was not as hospitable as it was yesterday. When they arrived back to port they were all hungry from fighting with the sea.

“Well today’s catch could have been better but let me buy all of you lunch today” Captain Falls said instantly getting a positive response out of his crew. His crew worked hard but since Captain Falls was able to get break from the pub owner for bringing his entire crew to eat, he received a discount. It was a win win situation for everyone, even if the pay wasn’t so great, his workers at least went home with a full belly and a free first round.

When they arrived at the pub, the pub owner bought the entire lot of fish since he was expecting it to be a busy weekend due to a celebration of a retired captain’s birthday party. The captain was able to instantly pay his crew. The pub owner brought them a huge pitcher of ale with five glasses. The pitcher didn’t last very long. They were brought a platter of fried fish and chips as well.

“Well you see it’s turned out to be a not so bad day” Eric nudged Benton sitting next to him at the table.
“I guess so…the real task will be ahead of me” Benton said finishing his ale.
“Why don’t you two stay with us for another pitcher of ale with us?” the captain’s first mate laughed.
“If there’s free ale involved, I’ll stay” Eric commented.
“Well I really do need to go…” Benton said turning around noticing a couple of officers standing by the door of the pub.

“Pssst! Eric! Theres’ a couple of officers by the door” Benton whispered.
“Where?!” Eric suddenly began looking all around him.
“Shh!! Don’t act so obvious!” Benton whispered with a scolding tone.
“I wonder what they're doing here?” Eric whispered.
“I don’t know, but I’ve got a bad feeling about them” Benton said feeling paranoid all the sudden.
“What are you two babbling about?” the first mate blurted out.
Benton and Eric only gave him a hushed serious look and pointed to the two officers.
“Alright Eric, Benton, what have you two done now?” the first mate laughed.
“Nothing…” Eric shook his head brushing his auburn hair out of his face.
“Will all of you be quiet about the officers and mind your own business? Then they will have no quarrel with you” Captain Falls chided.

“I think maybe we should have an ale before we leave so we don’t look so suspicious” Eric suggested to Benton.
“What do you mean suspicious? We haven’t done anything!” Benton gave Eric a strange look.
“It doesn’t matter, by leaving as soon as they walk in they're immediately going to notice than if we are sly and have a drink before leaving” Eric suggested.
“Fine, fill my glass will ya?” Benton said pushing his glass next to the pitcher as Eric poured himself another glass.
“Maybe having this drink will get rid of some of that paranoia your feeling” Eric whispered.

Benton stole another glance behind him as he noticed the two officers were having ale at the bar while turned around discreetly watching everyone.
“Is it just me, or do those two look like the two blokes we bumped into just yesterday here?” Benton quickly turned back around looking to Eric.
Eric took a gulp of ale and discreetly turned around glancing at the faces of the officers as they took a stare their way. Eric politely nodded and turned around.
“They do look a bit familiar” Eric whispered starting to feel a bit of the same feeling Benton did. Benton and Eric took another filet of fish each and a couple more chips with malt vinegar before finishing their second ale.

“You ready to make a break for it?” Eric whispered to Benton.
“Ready whenever you are” Benton whispered back.
“Would you two quit acting like children already!?” the first mate and the other guy complained.
“Hush would ya? Being loud draws attention” Captain Falls scolded his friends.
“Listen Captain, thanks for the food and the early pay again” Eric nodded.
“Yes, I thank you as well” Benton nodded.
“You two can thank me by continuing to be on time… I’ll expect to see you both Monday morning 5 AM, no excuses” Captain Falls replied quietly.
“Aye aye Captain sir!” Benton and Eric agreed as they collected their belongings and casually walked out.

The two officers finished their ale about five seconds after they walked out and then they too made their exit.
Captain Falls didn’t recognize the officers so he walked up to the bartender by the bar.
“Excuse me, have you seen those two bobbys before?” he asked casually.
“Why no? I figured they were out of towners meself” the bartender replied just as confused.
Captain Falls returned to his seat and poured himself another glass of ale.
“Is something wrong captain?” his first mate asked.
“No…no, it’s nothing…” he replied taking a long sip.

Last edited by Kole_Locke; 02-21-2013 at 02:10 PM..