View Single Post
neller
The Lover of UNICORNS

Old 08-06-2014, 04:39 PM

I'm glad you like our group, Div! I was afraid of doing it all wrong because I never heard of a Nikah until I was researching weddings around the world. It sounded really interesting!

---------- Post added 08-06-2014 at 12:42 PM ----------

Ascadellia: will you be creating an avatar for the group yet? :) We need someone for the dohlki who is singing/dancing. That's the most important part of the dohlki. Haha. You can be male or female!

---------- Post added 08-06-2014 at 01:13 PM ----------

Entry so far!
Quote:
Weddings Around the World
Username: bloodstainedwings, Nephila, Xogizmoox, neller, fireprincess, Ascadellia
Image of our Group's Entry:

Tell Me About These Customs:
Nikah is a Muslim marriage. It is the signing of a "solemn and sacred social contract" that is agreed by both the groom and bride. A trustworthy Muslim, such as a Qadi (a state appointed Muslim judge), officiants the Nikah ceremony. Traditionally, the bride will wear a red gharga and the groom will wear a white sherwani. In the days leading up to the wedding, close friends of the bride (typically all women) will go to the bride's home where they will dance and sing all night. This is known as a dohlki, and can last a night, a few days, or even a week! During the dohlki, the women will bake sweets and cover the bride in ubtan, a mixture of minerals and oils used to lighten the bride's skin. This will sometimes lead to ubtan/food fights.
Reference Pictures:
Bride Groom Qadi Dohlki-1 2 3 Ubtan

Last edited by neller; 08-07-2014 at 12:48 AM..