View Single Post
Kole_Locke
(^._.^)ノ

Old 02-18-2013, 06:55 PM

CHAPTER 34 (PART - A)

As Chester and his daughter were going back in to rejoin the rest of the family for lunch, Chester suddenly got an idea.
“Elizabeth, give me a moment. I’m going to the radio room” Chester smiled.
“You’re going to try to reach Uncle Haddock again?” Elizabeth asked.
“Yes” he nodded. Elizabeth suddenly felt a chill and nodded returning inside. Chester climbed the ladder up near the bridge to the radio room.
“Sir, I’m afraid this area is off limits to passengers” one of the crewmen put up his hands.
“I’m a captain of another ship. I really need to get a message ashore to someone. Can I please use your radio?” Chester pleaded.
“Is it an emergency?” the radio operator asked taking his headphones off as Chester disregarded the crewman.
“Yes” Chester nodded.
“I can signal our shore headquarters and they can call with the message you want to deliver” the radio operator offered.
“This is against the rules” the crewman insisted.
“Look, I’ve guided ships through stormy waters while your mum was still changing your undergarments. Now if you don’t mind I need to get a message through!” Chester retorted.The crewman was a young man and taken back by Chester’s sudden aggressive demeanor.

“Write down what you want me to communicate, I can do it discreetly by Morse code” the radio operator smiled.
“Thank you!” Chester said taking a pen and pad writing down the number to call and telling the person who calls to tell whoever answers at Marlinspike to call Captain Chester giving his daughter’s number.
“That should do it…” Chester said handing the paper back to the radio operator.
Without delay the operator put on his headphones and immediately transferred the message via Morse code. A couple minutes later a message was sent back.

“Yes, we will do that right now-- will respond with a reply in a minute…” The radio operator wrote down. They waited patiently. Five minutes later a reply came back.
“The call went through, and a butler answered saying he would send the message along”
The radio operator handed the message to Chester.
“Thank you!” Chester winked putting a few coins next to the radio operator. Then he pocketed the message and returned back to his family.

XXXXXXXXX

Haddock dialed Chester’s daughter’s number and let the phone ring and ring with no answer. Haddock hung up and tried again and still no answer.
“Blisterin' Barnacles! That’s odd…” Haddock said hanging up the phone returning back to the dining room.
“Did you get to talk to Captain Chester?” Tintin asked already knowing the answer by looking at Haddock’s face.
“No, I can’t get anyone to pick up the phone” Haddock shrugged a bit perturbed.
“Well maybe he took his family out?” Tintin shrugged back in return.
“We’re making our way up to Glasgow anyways, so we can call him when we get there” Haddock nodded.

“I hope it wasn’t anything important” Tintin frowned.
“Thunderin’ Typhoons! That’s exactly what I was thinking!” Haddock said almost frustratingly.
“Well we could simply call them when we arrive at the bed and breakfast and continue to have Nestor call them and let them know of where we are going to be” Tintin suggested.
“What about the whole scare with the phone taps?” Haddock suddenly remembered.
“If they’re after us, they’re going to find us anyway. I’m not going to let them make me live my life under a box” Tintin dismissed the thought.
“Captain, Tintin, if I may suggest, why don’t you let me call Captain Chester and have him meet you at the bed and breakfast?” the Professor said finishing his food.
“Blistern’ Bright Blue Barnacles! Is that hearing aid malfunctioning again Cuthbert? That’s what Tintin just said” Haddock reiterated.

Professor Calculus slapped his ear as if his hearing aid really was malfunctioning.
“Hmm… I’ll have to look into it” Calculus said now wondering if that was the case.
“It’s almost three O’clock now sir would you like me to prepare the car?” Nestor asked casually.
“If you don’t mind thank you” Haddock said politely.
“Please remember to make use of your gadgets!” Calculus reminded them. Snowy and Cocoa came out of the kitchen wandering around as the cat snuck back in behind them.
“You aren’t coming Professor?” Tintin asked.
“Not this time Tintin… I got work to do in the lab. I got to be able to replicate that super antibiotic” Calculus nodded then smiled.
“Is there something else Cuthbert?” Haddock grinned curiously at Calculus as he seemed to look happier than usual.
“Well I did receive a call from Madame…” he smiled devilishly.

“You did?!” Haddock’s eyes widened in a bit of shock.
“I did indeed” Calculus nodded gleefully.
“She’s not…not coming for a visit is she?” Haddock asked with concern.
“Unfortunately not…but she did send me a couple of tickets to her up coming concert in Vienna Austria at the Wiener Staatsoper” Professor Calculus frowned and smiled.
“Well…I’m sorry to hear that professor” Haddock let out a sigh of relief.
“Me too… but she is sending me tickets to her concert in two weeks in Vienna” The Professor’s eyes lit up.
“Well I hope you enjoy yourself” Haddock nodded.
“Well aren’t you both coming too? She’s sending tickets for all of us!” Calculus said enthusiastically.
“Blisterin’ Barnaculous Banshees! Cuthbert! You realize we’re in the middle of something here… I’m not sure if we can make it!” Haddock said sternly for himself and Tintin.
“Why Captain, how could we refuse to go to the Wiener Staatsoper? You are right, let’s take care of what’s going on here and then we will discuss further engagements when we return from Glasgow” Tintin agreed.
“Good boy, something good did rub off of me to you” Haddock winked clasping Tintin’s shoulder. “Now let’s go get our suitcases, Nestor is probably waiting for us” Haddock said prompting him to come upstairs with him.

Professor Calculus still couldn’t quite understand Haddock’s disdain for Madame Castafiore. To the Professor, Madame Castafiore was an angel from a Heavenly choir. Madame Castafiore was already aware that Haddock and Tintin had become a couple and even supported them. She was among the inner circle of friends privy to that information, but it still didn’t stop her from being just a bit overly affectionate to Captain Haddock who still found that she still could make him feel uncomfortable. Tintin had to remind Haddock that Madame Castafiore has been a valuable ally with access to people in high places. Her influence in many places was invaluable to their adventures and that their continued friendship was very important. Castafiore had been back to Marlinspike on a couple occasions, thankfully for Haddock they were only a couple of days each.

Haddock had a hard time saying no or disagreeing with Tintin when he would get that adorable serious look that Haddock had fallen in love with. Tintin knew it too and sometimes would take advantage of it. Professor Calculus on the other hand felt the exact opposite of Haddock. He craved Madame’s attention always showering her with complements and gifts. He had every album she had put out and would sometimes listen to her albums in his room. Haddock did appreciate Madame, but still found her inability to say his correct name quite irritating and her ability to project. Sometimes Haddock would bang on the Professor's door at night when the music was a bit too loud.

“Master Calculus, is your hearing aid up to par?” Nestor suddenly asked jolting the professor from his thoughts.
“I do believe so” Calculus nodded.
“Captain Chester may try to call again, if he does let him know Master Haddock and Tintin are on their way to Glasgow at the Sea Breeze Bed and Breakfast” Nestor instructed.
“Certainly, I’m going to my lab shortly…I do have a phone in there Nestor” Calculus smiled.
“Thank you, I should be home in an hour” Nestor said putting his gloves on walking out the front door to get the chauffeur’s car as Snowy and Cocoa ran after him.
“Come here ya tease!” Haddock shouted. The Professor stepped out into the main foyer and looked upstairs.
“Captain! I don't want to wear that!” Professor Calculus thought he heard Tintin shout.
“That’s not going to save ya lad! You're going to land of the Scots!” Haddock shouted. Professor Calculus looked up the stair case a bit concerned as Haddock’s room had a ruckus erupt from it. Then afterwards a loud burst of laughter erupted.
"Well if you won't wear that one, I'll buy you one while we're in Scotland" Haddock laughed.
"Ok Captain you win... it better be a nice one or I won't wear it" Tintin playfully nudged Haddock as they entered the foyer organizing their luggage.

A few moments later Tintin and Haddock came downstairs with their hair slightly ruffled and clothes somewhat wrinkled as the Captain was readjusting his hat. Professor Calculus adjusted his glasses and looked once at them both of them. Their cheeks were flushed. The Professor nodded thoughtfully waving his umbrella at them as he walked over to his lab snickering all the way. Tintin and Haddock finally met Nestor outside already waiting with the car, Snowy, and Cocoa.
“We have to hurry master, it’s already three thirty” Nestor said urgently.
“Yes Nestor” Tintin agreed, and then they were off.

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

After the boat ride they stopped at the pub as Kevin wanted and had one pint. Chester was more interested in returning back to the house so he told Elizabeth to help him get her husband out as quickly as she could which she was quite effective at. It was almost five O’clock when they finally arrived home. Rachel’s energy had waned a bit since she didn’t take a nap. Enzo chatted with Kevin about some of earlier adventures on the Sirius when he was fifteen and sixteen. Kevin found the tales fascinating, especially one where Enzo actually stumbled on four men robed up chanting wearing bird masks. Chester didn’t waste any time once they arrived at the house and went straight to the phone. Chester anxiously dialed the number until finally someone answered.

“Hello? Nestor?” Chester asked.
“Captain Chester I presume? I received a call on your behalf” Nestor acknowledged.
“Did you see Captain Haddock or Tintin?” Chester asked anxiously.
“I did, they know you tried to call…but they aren’t here. They are on their way to Glasgow” Nestor informed him.
“They are?” Chester asked a bit confused.
“Yes, some business concerning the Detectives…I was told to tell you if you called they will be at the Sea Breeze bed and breakfast sometime near six O’clock” Nester finished.
“Perfect, I’ll meet them there. Thank you Nestor” Chester nodded hanging up the phone.

Chester returned to the living den as they had already turned the television on as Elizabeth was getting a couple of toys.
“Were you able to reach them?” Enzo asked seeing a somewhat hopeful look on Chester’s face.
“I was, and they are coming to Glasgow” Chester stated.
“They are?” Elizabeth looked a bit surprised.
“Did they say why?” Enzo was curious.
“Tintin’s boss is in the area. Kevin, do you know where the Sea Breeze bed and breakfast is?” Chester suddenly asked.
“Yea, is that where they’re going?” Kevin nodded.
“Yes, they should arrive sometime after six…which leads me to my next question” Chester paused.
“We can leave anytime you’re ready” Kevin nodded.
“Is Rachel too tired to go out again?” Chester asked his daughter.
“Papa!” Rachel said gleefully running over to Chester to grab his leg.
“My favorite granddaughter!” Chester said picking her up kissing her forehead.
“You see how much energy she has, let me use the loo and then I should be ready” Elizabeth walked off.
“Splendid” Chester nodded.
“Spendid” Rachel said trying to mimic her grandfather as he held her.

Last edited by Kole_Locke; 02-25-2013 at 05:14 AM..