View Single Post
N I G H T
Lurky Shadowboxer =w=
Penpal
Send a message via AIM to N I G H T

Old 11-08-2011, 07:24 AM

Day 4
Shine a Little Light of Luck

Marauding through the catacombs nearly got me killed. I sit in the darkness with nothing but the small light from a moon sapphire and satchel full of magic tools. Not much to work with and I have no way of knowing where to go. Unfortunately if I didn't map quest before hand, I can't see any golden 'X' for this location on the map, and these catacombs are definitely not on the map. Even with this cave-in, no obstacle will deter me from continuing my adventure! So I press on, challenge accepted, and hopefully I'll find a way out in this new direction through these tunnels. I hope the storm charmer doesn't think I'm dead.

I walk a while using the sapphire as a flashlight through the tunnel, which eventually splits into a fork. Choosing the left tunnel in the fork I continue to walk. As I walk further down this left tunnel, I hear a gushing sound. Sounds like falling water! Aww yeaa! Where there's falling water, there's definitely a way out! For a time without the guidance of my map, my navigational skills are not bad. I wish I'd know this talent of mine sooner, I wouldn't have had to rely on the map all the time in previous explorations. As I come to the end of the tunnel, it opens up into a small cave grotto, with a small geyser of water rushing down into it. I see an opening to the outside on the other side of the grotto! But now I must find a way to cross this big bowl of water. I put the moon sapphire in my satchel for safe keeping, because there seems to be enough light from the reflections in the water. I climb to the edge of the grotto, accidentally cutting my hand on a sharp rock.
"Ouch," I say, rubbing my hand. Such little cuts sting so bad.
I wiggle like a worm to the narrow top and squat to get close enough to the edge of the grotto to plot a means to escape. I've got it! I improvise taking out my magic growing hat from my satchel. It's water proof and grows to whatever size the person's head is. I turn the hat over and step into it. Sure enough it grows the size to fit my entire body, and becomes as big as a small boat. I take out my extendable walking stick from my satchel and extend it to use as a paddle. I sit down in my hat and scoot on my rear, rolling into the water afloat. I bob and splash about in my hat boat and begin to row myself to the other side of the grotto with my walking stick.
Ha! This was an ingenious plan! I finally get to the other side of the grotto and wiggle out of the water, a little tired and excited. I smell a burning at my feet. It seems when the hat was used as a boat, it wasn't actually meant to stretch to the size of a person. It's quite the opposite. I quickly rise to my feet and run towards the way out. Behind me I hear an explosion. It seems the magic of my hat had spontaneously combusted from overuse.
And somehow, my extendable walking stick had broken in half. I pick the two pieces of stick off the ground and say a small enchantment to repair it.

I come to the opening of the tunnel, and breathe a sigh of relief as sunlight hits my face. At this moment I shall make a firm resolve to never ever follow strangers into strange catacombs ever again. No matter how nice. Especially ones with small baskets. I gaze around studying my surroundings. This exit has led me to a grassy hilltop near the foot of the mountains. I also spot a Wizard's hallow across the field where a mountain goat is grazing. Thank goodness. Maybe I can ask the Wizard there where to find the northern caves. Better to ask for directions this time, and not chance it like the others. I'm surprised I'm not in worse conditions. Everything went better than expected.

TO BE CONTINUED...