Thread: Khan Academy
View Single Post
Aimless.Wanderer
A.K.A ii-AznGurlDream-ii

Old 01-04-2015, 01:14 AM

I have been on and off Khan Academy since I was in... ninth grade (it was way back when it was simpler to use and there wasn't all that flashy stuff going on ) I remember I had to learn some algebra concept I wasn't understanding for an exam that was coming up, and it was seriously a gold mine. I understood everything in less than 10 minutes, while my teacher was spending weeks on that concept and I wasn't getting it either way.

And I haven't been back on that site until the beginning of last year, when I started to take an IB Math Higher Level course (its college-level calc and statistics, and I HATE IT ) I didn't understand a lot of the concepts because they class is based on using the knowledge that you learn rather than drilling. Before, I was totally fine doing the drills and everything, but now that I had to apply the concepts to real-life problems... it was scary.

I went through tutoring, going to a program for students struggling in math after school every day, nothing worked. And I was a junior last year, so everything else on top of that class was devastating to my grades. I just didn't know what to do, until I realized one day that I had an account on Khan Academy that was sitting in a pile of dust for a long while and decided to use it. And just like that first time that I used it, I just got it. And now that there are exercises along with the videos for reinforcement, I can confidently say that I understand the concepts well enough to apply them to the problems that I do.

I have also made an account on Degreed, I haven't used it a whole lot (partially because I'm locked out of my account.. ). It's a lot like Khan Academy, except they take your interests and give you sources, videos, testimonies and other resources to help you complete your degree. It's absolutely free and while it isn't like Khan Academy where it is more generalized and you can just look up whatever you want to learn, I also like having a list of resources I can choose from to learn about for that day.