View Single Post
Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)っ ♥

Penpal

Old 07-13-2013, 04:15 PM

The large mechanical clock in the center of the Bronze Quarter struck midnight, followed a heartbeat later by the hand-rung bells of other quarters as they took their cues from Bronze's precision. The rare country visitors to Morshall often complained of the late-night cacophany, but residents always claimed they couldn't sleep without the bells tolling the hours.

Insulated by layer upon layer of thick granite walls, Crispin heard nothing in the organized clutter of his workroom except for the usual symphony of ticks and whirrs. Nothing, that is, until the watch in his pocket began to chime a soft melody. With great care he threaded the final screw into place and then set down his tools. Princess Cassandra's birthday gift from her father was complete, and it was undoubtedly a masterwork. Several masters' work, in fact.

House Gold's jewelers had created the case and setting, a fine platinum watchcase and chain set with diamonds and elegantly carved bezoar stones provided by House Silver to protect against poisons. When the case was opened it revealed a watch on one side and a tiny but perfect compass on the other, all Crispin's work-- although a Brass master had composed the watch's melody and made certain it was in perfect tune. And when the knob on the side was twisted just so at the same time as three buttons were pushed, the front of the case would snap outward with a blinding flash of light and a deafening shriek that should distract any would-be attacker long enough for the princess to get a head start. That last, of course, was courtesy of Houses Mercury and Copper. The entire piece was intended to be useful as well as beautiful, and allow Cassandra at least a tiny bit more of the freedom she craved so much.

Assembly now complete, Crispin sat back and removed his glasses and oculars, then rubbed his face with both hands, noting the faint rasp of stubble under his palms. Must have my valet attend to that in the morning... but at least I'll sleep well tonight with this done. He smiled at the platinum blur against the black velvet and put his glasses on as he stood. I should take a note by the palace to let the Emperor know it's complete. It's out of the way, but I won't have it on my mind, and the weather was supposed to be nice tonight...

Decision made, he rolled down his sleeves and put on a jacket, striking out for Platinum Quarter in the clear, calm night. Well... clear and calm until he reached Silver Quarter and saw two House Scions rolling around in the street. Outrage took over and Bronze's Heir found himself wading into the fray and pulling one combatant off the other before he could think. "Rayner! Axel! What do you think you're doing?"

The crowd swirled a little, some eager for the new show and some disappointed by the interruption. Crispin found himself the center of attention as his initial outburst of irritation drained away, and he cringed inwardly. They're all looking at me... this is why you should think before you act, idiot! Mustering his courage, he continued to scold the two. "What would your parents say about the two of you brawling in the streets like a pair of mudlarks fighting over a choice bit of rubbish?"