View Single Post
Maria-Minamino
Musician

Old 02-19-2017, 08:32 PM

February 19, 2017

So life has been a little crazy. It's the part of the school year where the students are starting to go crazy. The 6th graders are done because they're ready for middle school. The little kids are done because it's just a long school year. We don't have spring break until APRIL. So we are in the long-haul right now. Especially with testing starting in March.

The flu has been going around my area and it hit me hard. I was out for 3 days thanks to it. The doctor gave me a note to be out until the 20th of February...but there was no way in hell I could take off that many days of school. So, even though I'm not 100 percent better, I've been going into work anyway. Oh well. Such is the life of a music teacher.

Last year, at my old school, they kept teasing me about getting new carpet. They'd come to be and say, "You have to clear your room out over winter break/spring break/first week of April/etc." So, like a good girl, I'd literally clear EVERYTHING out only to be told, "THey are behind schedule and they couldn't do it." They FINALLY re-did the carpet over the summer...just in time for me to LEAVE and go to a new school.

I got to my new school and the carpet is....dun dun dun...DISGUSTING. Seriously...there is a patch in the middle of the carpet where they literally CUT a piece out then put another piece in. But the new piece doesn't MATCH the other carpet....it's a different pattern. And since it's just a random strip of carpet...it is shredding and shedding and the kids pick at it and it looks like a grassy patch in the middle of my room. There are parts where there are bubbles in the floor where the carpet is bubbling up and not glued to the floor. It's dirty and we have ANTS everywhere in the damn room.

I was teaching on Thursday and some people came in and announced they were replacing my carpet over the summer and I would need to find a place for all the stuff I had in the room. As much as it sucks that this will literally be the 5th time I will be removing EVERYTHING from a classroom because they are going to be replacing the carpet, I am super excited because this floor is nasty.

Now...if I could convince my new Principal to let me paint the walls something other than butt-ugly beige...the room might have potential!