View Single Post
Precarious Fool
Are you kitten me right meow?

Old 06-13-2016, 03:21 PM

Mellie's mouth had unfortunately been stuffed with food when the other guest entered the room. He was tall and... well, she didn't know how else to describe him. He was nothing like the men she had seen before, he was graceful, not big and brutish, or lithe and near womanly. Was he also here looking for the job? If it was between the two of them she was sure she didn't have a chance, not with how put together and smart he looked, while she was no different than a street urchin. Embarrassed by that fact she tucked her dirtied, muddied boots under her skirts, and curled her fingers in, not wanting them to see the dirt under her finger nails or the rough skin of her hands from years of work. It was obvious she didn't belong.

Working hard to control her impulse, she nibbled at the treats offered, listening to the newcomer speak with the Lord, seeming so much more at home than she ever could. Her thoughts wandered, how many of the small treats had she eaten already? At least five, since she had refilled her plate, a fact she hoped had escaped notice. Shortly after taking another bite, enjoying the sweet lemon cake more than anything she had eaten before, the tall strange turned his attention to her. His voice was cultured and he was well manners, and as much as she'd rather not speak, she had little choice without being horribly rude.

"A pleasure, sir. Name's Mellie." She paused at that, scrunching her face up. Did she have another name? All her life she had simply been Mellie, she couldn't recall a family name. "I uh..." She paused, not sure how to explain what she did. "A musician of sorts." She cringed, the rather heavy Irish accent clear in her voice, so uncultured like the two men present. A small chirp sounded from the leather satchel at her feet and she frowned and nudged the bag, hoping Bear would keep quiet and hadn't been noticed. The poor creature probably smelled the treats and wanted a snack of his own.

With eyes on her she couldn't risk feeding him, but she left a ginger cookie on the side of her plate for him when she would have the chance to sneak one to him. Before she could shrink back into the shadows, Lord Upton turned towards her, a kind smile on his face. "Well, Mellie, why don't you tell us more about yourself?" At her look of fear and panic he continued. "Oh dear, nothing too invasive, just where you live, work, a bit about you is all." His questions were innocent enough, but she wasn't sure how to answer any of them. Not wanting to be rude, she cleared her throat and began, "I uh, I live..." What would be a good lie? "Just a bit south of here." Vague, but it would have to do, hopefully they wouldn't pry more about that. She didn't feel like disclosing the fact that when she left here she'd be sleeping on a bench or under a tree somewhere.

"I was with a traveling troupe, but am now on my own, and that's about it." Mellie could only shrug, not sure what else to say. To his credit, all Lord Upton did was raise an eyebrow and nod. Sensing her reluctance he turned to the other in their party, "Care to share as well, Mr. Heathcote?"