View Single Post
fishyfey
*^_^*

Old 04-22-2011, 06:26 PM

6. Rain

She waited by the tree all night just to make sure she wouldn’t miss him, even falling asleep with her back against the trunk and legs tucked under her chin. The grass was soft and cushioned her like a feather bed. He would come this time. She knew he would.

When night began to lift and the sun peaked over the horizon, she woke with a start. The sky burned orange and red. The clouds were a raging fire devouring the heavens. Hope flared in her heart like a match chasing away the shadows of fear and doubt. He would come. He had to.

Above her the tree creaked happily. Looking up she finally saw Jack, and she smiled so brightly that she almost shined brighter than the sun rising behind her.

“How long have you been up there?” She asked.

“I’ve been watching you for a while.” Jack said and then paused for a long moment. “I’ve missed you Eve.”

She blushed. “I’ve missed you too. It’s been so long. Sometimes I thought you wouldn’t come. Things have been real rough without you around.”

He hopped down and landed with a gentle thud beside her. Jack stood slowly, took her hand, and kissed Eve’s knuckles. His aquamarine eyes stared up into hers. “I can only stay until the rain comes and takes me away. We don’t have much time.”

“Then let’s run away to the desert! Anywhere that it never rains. We can go to Arizona, Africa, anywhere.”

“You know I can’t.” His voice was so quiet and full of sadness that it broke her heart. “All I can do is steal these few moments with you.”

Eve sighed and nodded. She hugged him with all her strength, knowing he would never leave here because he couldn’t. Jack wrapped his arms around the woman he loved and rested his chin on top of her head.

He was made up of the water in the nearby lakes and rivers, the moisture in the air, and the dew on the morning leaves. He came to her once a year because that was all he was strong enough to do. The rest of the time he was only bits of water drifting through the weeks, waiting for the day he could return to Eve.