Thread: The Aeronauts
View Single Post
Wyrmskyld
(っ◕‿◕)っ ♥

Penpal

Old 03-10-2014, 05:41 AM

"I'm afraid she has a mind of her own. As I said, the autopilot keeps setting its own destinations, and I can't find where the error lies." Crispin sighed and gave an affectionate pat to a section of polished bronze tubing. "She's faster than most airplanes, though. I'm certain I can get you home by morning, and the berths are far superior to a plane so you'll even be well rested."

He added cream and sugar to his tea and sipped thoughtfully from the delicate gold-rimmed cup. His warm brown eyes grew far away, and he continued speaking half to himself. "Beatrice is not a standard airship. I'd never seen an airship when I built her... I just wanted to be able to get somewhere quickly..." His voice trailed off and he gazed into his cup. Spade had to strain to hear his next words. "I didn't make it in time..."

Silence reigned for several long seconds before Crispin shook off his mood with a visible effort. He tossed back the rest of his tea in one swallow and selected a sandwich from the tray. His bright smile seemed slightly unnatural after the hint of remembered tragedy only a moment before, but the enthusiasm in his next words sounded genuine. "I'll be happy to show you the schematics after tea, if they would interest you. I don't often meet people who'd appreciate them."