View Single Post
Zephi
Summer love

Old 08-21-2010, 08:17 AM

Chapter Two

Zephyr touched down lightly, claws making a soft rapping noise on the stones. Grio hadn’t noticed her, he had his back to her and appeared to be tinkering with something. She walked up and tapped him on the shoulder gently. He was taller than she was when he stood up straight but not when he was hunched over. He turned quickly and tried to conceal what he had been working on. Zephyr crossed her arms over her chest. There was a glint of light when he turned but she couldn’t make out what it was.
“Oh. Hi, Zeph! Um, what are you, uh, doing here.” He tried to look normal with both claws behind his back. “Out kinda late?”
Zephyr raised a brow at him. “Where is it that I am supposed to be?” She asked casually.
She moved to his right side but he countered and twisted away from her. She thought about dashing around the large dragon but for his size, he was incredibly agile.
“Well, you know Oainix has been looking for you all day.” Zephyr leaned to the left and he leaned along with her. “He came by here twice today and it seemed really important that he find you.”
Zephyr blinked. Gregorio was his real name but all of his friends called him Grio. He was a very pale green color with amazing emerald eyes that seemed to glow when he smiled. His muscular build didn’t seem to suit his shy personality but the dark blue security uniform made him look the part.
“Oh, and,” he continued as he stepped back and straightened to his full height, “I don’t know what he wanted so there’s no need asking me. ‘Cause I don’t know anything.”
“Are you sure you don’t know anything?” she pried. She tilted her head a little and uncrossed her arms to put them on her hips. “Oainix didn’t tell you anything? You, his best friend?”
“I’m pretty sure he didn’t say anything to me. Nothing about wanting to give you anything.”
“What?” Her ears perked up.

----------

“I said he didn’t tell me anything.” He pursed his lips and mumbled, “I think.”
Zephyr chuckled. He was always such a bad liar, but she decided not to mess with him and just find out for herself whatever it was Oainix wanted to give her. She waved a hand as she walked away. “Ok, thanks for telling me G.”
Grio shook his head, “No, no. I didn’t tell you anything!” He saw that she was really leaving and he sighed. Watching her for a minute longer as if to make sure that she didn’t sneak up behind him he decided to turn back around and work on what he had been hiding.
Zephyr shrugged as she looked back over her shoulder. He invented lots of things. Something new almost every day but no one was permitted to see whatever it was he worked on until the finished product. She wasn’t sure if it was a superstition that he had or just from him being shy. Either way she wasn’t going to break his heart to sneak a peek at the newest addition to his inventive collections.
The road she walked along resembled a cobblestone path. It looked old and gave the whole city a medieval look. Flying on town had long been banned after a few dozen in-flight collisions. It was decided that it would be best, and safest, for the population to have designated areas where is was ok and not ok to fly. Zephyr looked up at the lamps as she walked past. They cast long shadows into the small clumps of trees lining the street into town. You would never guess that it was over populated the way the city was designed. So much space was given to parks and fountains, space that might be better used for housing but no one really complained about it much. They just hoped that a treaty would be written up soon that would permit them to legally live on the ground if they choose.
As she came into the city the houses lining the street were small and cozy looking, made of brick because it didn’t burn. When Winglies first began living in houses they had been made of wood, this had caused problems with them being burned down in their sleep. Even now, not many Winglies breathe fire, it’s considered barbaric but you won’t catch anyone turning away when performers come through breathing fire and swallowing swords.
A little way down the street to her left was a building with a bright blue sign of a dragon’s head that was drinking a “Red Lightning.” That was the most famous ale in all of the Winglie cities and you could only get it at Tiny Tina’s or a place owned by one of her business partners. This was Oainix’s and Oscoro’s favorite place to hang out after the sun went down, and it was the only place that stayed open that long. Most of the stores and the few actual bars in Moirai were only open during the day and they closed promptly at sundown. Tiny Tina’s was only open after dark.
As Zephyr got closer she could hear the muffled thump, thump, thump from the music inside the building. It sounded like they had a live band there tonight, which meant she would have to pay to get in. She walked up to the door and banged on it. After a few seconds a small hole opened in the door and Zephyr found herself looking into a yellow eye.
“I need to see some ID bef-- Zephyr!” The Winglie behind the door laughed as he pulled open the door for her. A blast of music hit her hard and her ears folded back against her skull. The Winglie that had opened the door was standing on a crate which he promptly hopped off rising just above Zephyr’s waist. He raised his voice over the music as he shut the door behind her, “Why didn’t you just say it was you?”

----------

She shrugged and looked around.
He jumped back on his crate and nudged her. “You act like you still need to show your ID you old bird. Ha!”
“Old bird! You little imp!” She hit him over the head lightly. She had been coming to Tiny Tina’s since before she should have even been allowed in the building so the long term workers knew her well. “Besides, I wouldn’t want you to lose your job Bruce. You’ve been doing this since the dawn of time and I don’t think that you know how to do anything else.” She grinned.
He nudged her again. “Well I could always come to your house. I’m sure I could find some work to do around there. I’m pretty handy you know.” Zephyr laughed aloud with the tiny Winglie and silently shook her head.
Changing the subject she asked, “So how much is it for me to get into this rockin’ place?”
The dance floor was alive tonight and lights flashed red, blue and yellow along with the music. People were lined up at the bar and everyone looked like they were having a great time. A banner hung from the ceiling with the words ‘The Fire Gods’ in large bold text and a location of their next performance. It almost made her wish that she could be normal and not have to worry about peace between nations.
Almost.
“Well,” he looked over his shoulder at the dancing crowd, “it’s supposed to be 20 Talons but for you I think I could let that slide.”
“Thanks Bruce. I owe you one.” She nodded to the band on stage, “They’re not half bad for a rock band, huh?” Then turning her attention back to the little black dragon that was eyeing her she asked, “I’m looking for Oainix, have you seen him?”
“Yeah, I saw him a while ago. I think he said something about lookin for you too. I think…” His voice trailed off under the music and Zephyr raised a brow.
“Is he still here by any chance?”
The small Winglie shrugged. “Maybe. I never saw him leave but he could have left while I was on break.”
“Alright,” she sighed. No one was going to make this easy on her tonight. “I’ll go ask Tina.”
Bruce nodded and plopped down on his crate as Zephyr made her way towards the bar. She stepped around the dance floor, she didn’t feel like getting hit by any crazy dance moves tonight. Just as she reached the corner of the bar the band hit a high note and then fell silent. All the winglies that had been dancing stopped and applauded. The lights turned off and a spot light lit shining down on the lead singer, he was tall and slender and had a huge pair of wings. The band started off again, slowly and the dance floor was suddenly filled with couples dancing closely together. All the stools that had been empty were quickly taken by everyone that didn’t want to dance.

----------

Zephyr sighed and tried to find a space to squeeze up to the bar. Then she smiled, someone was ordering a Red Lightning. The unsuspecting winglie toasted to no one in particular and then downed the drink in one gulp. His claw wavered as he lifted the mug, no empty, and slammed it back on the bar. Everyone around him cheered and hooted. In the background the band grew louder. Anyone who knew anything about drinking RL’s knew that it was impossible to drink one the way that guy just did, unless you want to get up close and personal with the ground in a few seconds.
They used to have a contest to see who could last the longest on their feet after a RL, but since no one could last more than a few seconds it was always hard to determine a winner. Zephyr moved closer and counted off her claws as she stepped.
One. He started to say something to the bartender.
Two. He paused.
Three. Zephyr could see his facial expression turning from happiness to surprise.
Four. His eyes widened as he put both claws on the bar.
Five. The poor guy tried to stand and fell as if someone stole his legs from beneath him in a lump on the floor. Zephyr casually stepped over him and sat on the stool. The bartender looked at her and grinned.
“That wasn’t too bad, Tina,” Zephyr said over the ever loudening music. “Five seconds. Was that a new record?” she asked sarcastically.
The bar tender chuckled. “I tried to warn him but, you know Oscoro, he never listens.”
Zephyr’s eyes widened as she looked down at the winglie who’s stool she just acquired. He seemed to have passed out for the moment with one wing flopping over his face. No one around him acted like it was anything new. “Oscoro?” She nudged him with a clawed toe, “Geez, he’ll never learn.” Shaking her head she turned her attention back to Tina. “I came here looking for Oainix, have you seen him tonight?”
“I saw him,” she shook her head, “but he left before the band even got set up.” She paused for a second and added, “Girl, he seemed really nervous too, like he’d been chewing on coffee beans all day. Then he just left without saying anything to anyone.”
“Hmm.”
A winglie down the bar was waving a shot glass in the air trying desperately to get Tina’s attention. “I’m coming!” she yelled. Then she leaned in and whispered to Zephyr, “A bar tender’s job is never done.”
“Not as long as you have dragons like him and Oscoro around.” They both laughed as Tina walked down to the thirst customer. “Don’t work too hard!” she yelled and stepped over her friend who was still passed out on the ground.
“You’re not gonna have a drink? I’ll make my special Celestial Waters for ya!” Tina waved to Zephyr.

----------

She waved back, “No thanks. I better get to finding that Oainix.” She turned away from the bar and thought about what Tina had said. Oainix isn’t one to be easily rattled, something had to be up.
There was a low grunt from the ground and Zephyr felt a claw on her foot. “Okie, I’m ruddy fer another un of da tings.” Oscoro grabbed on to Zephyr’s with his leg and pulled himself up to a sitting position.
“Hey!” Zephyr reached down and grabbed his arm in two claws. Pulling him to his feet she braced him and sat him back on the stool.
He looked at her squinting and puckering his lips like a monkey. “Haaaaaaaaay Zeph!” He lunged forward and hugged her, throwing all his weight into the hug and almost knocking her off balance. Zephyr turned away from him and his hot breath on her face. He looked at her, his eyes adjusting and readjusting, “I luf you.”
“Ugh! Nice to see you too!” She pushed him back into the stool again but he didn’t leg go of her. She had to pry his arms off before she could stand up straight again.
“Ya safed my seat.” he sighed loudly and made what was probably supposed to be a cute gesture. The cuteness got lost in his drunkenness and ended up as almost being obscene. “I tink I needa nuffer dr-” He hiccupped and paused. Raising a claw he said as clearly as he could, “Drinky.”
Zephyr shook her head at him. “How many Red Lightning’s have you had tonight Oscoro?”
“Onlee tew.” He looked at his claws and held up four as if to reassure her. He put on a stern face and banged his claw against his chest a few times. “Imma big draygin. I know why at say no.”
“You might know why but you sure don’t know when.” She slipped her arm under his and pulled him to his feet. “Put your arm around my neck,” she said in a stern voice.
Oscoro flashed a crooked smile and said, “Yesh Ma’am. Wheyre we goin at night babe?” He leaned into her neck and smiled.
“I’m taking you home and don’t call me ‘babe.’” She wrapped her right arm around his body and helped him towards the door. They made it half way around the dance floor when Oscoro pulled back as if he had just realized that they were leaving. Maybe he had just realized they were leaving. Zephyr began to lose her patience and had half a mind to leave him at the bar. “Stop acting like a hatchling. I’m taking you home before you hurt yourself or someone else."

----------

They made it to the door, slowly. Bruce threw her a sympathetic look and opened the door. “Do you want some help carting him home?” he offered.
Zephyr adjusted his weight on her shoulders and shook her head. “He lives just around the corner, I think I can make it. If he stops fighting me that is.” Zephyr walked out the door supporting Oscoro. “Thanks again and good night Bruce.”
Bruce shut the door behind her closing out most of the music and sounds from the crowd. The band had started back up with a wild song and everyone went crazy on the inside. Zephyr unfolded her ears and sighed. Time to take this goof ball home, she thought.
Zephyr walked and Oscoro stumbled supported by her. They made it slowly down the street and Oscoro didn’t fight again until they had almost reached his house. Then he pulled his arm from around her and struggled to stand on his own.
He looked at her angrily and said, “I know whas good fer me an whas no good. Imma goin back at tha bar.”
“What makes you think Bruce will let you in? We’re almost to your house. Let’s go.”
Zephyr reached for his arm as he turned to go but he quickly grabbed her claw and pulled her towards him instead. He seemed to have regained most of his strength because without any effort he pushed her out of his way. She caught herself and snorted. She wasn’t going to let him push her aside like an empty shot glass! She jumped out in front of the lumbering fool and crossed her arms. Oscoro made a gesture as if to say that he would toss her out of the way. She locked eyes with him and shook her head defiantly.
He ran at her but she dodged quickly letting him grab for air as he fell to the ground with a hard thud. Moaning Oscoro brought himself up to his knees. Zephyr walked to him and offered him a claw but he pushed it away and let out a low growl. Zephyr jumped back and caught the movement of a shadow out of the corner of her eye. Something was in the alley near them and there was no telling what kind of low lives were on the prowl tonight looking for some easy prey.
Zephyr have been watching the alley as Oscoro came from below and wrapped his arms around her pinning her wings to her back. She squirmed and tried to break out of his grasp but he was holding her too tight. Instead she started kicking her legs and landed one right in his groin. Oscoro went stiff and let out a howl in pain before letting her go and dropping to his knees. He clutched himself and then fell over to his side whimpering before he passed out.
She hadn’t meant to kick him but it had done the trick. He was totally still apart from the occasional twitch in his tail. She angrily rubbed her wings and looked at him having half a mind to leave him where he lay but then she remembered the shadow in the alley. Whoever that was probably wouldn’t mind if their prey was already unconscious.
She bent over and groaned lifting his dead weight. She crossed his arms in front of her and held on to his biceps. With his feet and tail dragging on the ground she made her way towards his house. Then his wings fell limply over hers.
There was a sharp laugh from the darkened alley and Zephyr turned to face whoever decided to mess with her. She had already lost her patience on Oscoro so she would pity the fool that tried to pull anything after she left them on pain on the ground.
“So now you’re going to carry this poor defenseless guy to your home and have your way with him, huh?”
She knew that voice. “Maybe I am.” She turned and started walking again calling back over her shoulder, “Would you care?”
A brown and tan well-built Graffon stepped out of the darkness. His eyes were a steel grey as he watched them. His wings extended almost four feet above his head and grazed the ground just behind his clawed feet. He was covered in tiny scale like feathers, more feather-like than scales but not totally.
“Maybe,” he said. “Because this poor fellow happens to be a friend of mine, or maybe just because I don’t like the idea of my girlfriend hanging all over him.” Behind him, his long tail swept back and fourth but never touched the ground.

----------

“If you haven’t noticed, he’s the one hanging all over me. And I’ll have to remember that for next time he ends up like this, it’ll be your turn to carry him home.” She paused for a second to catch her breath. Carrying him was ok, or talking, not both.
Oainix ran to her left side and easily lifted his unconscious friend off her shoulders. “Here, let me help you then. No need for you to get worn out, yet.” He joked. His muscles flexed as he carried him up the road without a sound.
Zephyr smiled. “Thank you. I found him at Tina’s,” she explained. “He’s been knocking back a few too many RL’s again. I don’t know why he does this to himself every night. I thought I’d help him out and maybe save him the embarrassment of waking up in the alley curled around a bag of trash.”
“Oh, so you thought it’d be better if he woke up curled around you?” He grinned. “I could just see you after a little more of this. Squashed in the road under his weight just waiting for him to come to.”
“Ha, ha. Very funny.” She walked a little faster down the street leaving Oainix behind.
“Wait. I was only kidding. I’ve had my eye on you since you landed.”
Zephyr turned, “You were watching me the whole time and you didn’t say anything? You’re acting weird.”
“I-I am not acting weird,” he stammered. “I was going to surprise you.” He caught up to her and quickly changed the subject. “I’ve been looking for you all day. Where have you been hiding out?”
They stopped in front of a brick house painted yellow. The door never locks and the paint was chipping off from everywhere. Oscoro said it made it look like art. Zephyr said he was just too lazy to paint it.
“This is it.” She walked up the steps and pushed the door open. “He should be investing in home improvement instead of RL’s. Just put him on the couch or something.” Oainix slid past her and laid Oscoro on the couch. He grabbed a blanket off the back of the couch and tossed it over him.
“Big baby.” Oainix left the house behind Zephyr and they walked back down to the street in silence.
Being so high in the sky the stars blazed more magnificently than on the ground or even just above cloud level. From here it was almost if you could reach out and grab one. Hold it in your hand or put it in your pocket for whenever you need a smile. Oainix broke the silence and asked her again what she had been up to all day. Zephyr sighed. She knew that Oainix didn’t like it when she went to the ground alone.
“What?” Oainix yelled and Zephyr shushed him. “It’s dangerous down there! I could have gone with you. All you had to do was ask me!”
“Be quiet. There are people trying to sleep around here. And besides, I’m fine. Nothing happened, I didn’t even see anyone except from far away, and that was when I was on my way back up here. I just had to get away for a while, you know? This meeting tomorrow,” she sighed, “I don’t feel ready.”
Oainix stopped and put his claws on her shoulders. “You’ll do fine tomorrow. I’m sorry. I don’t mean to sound like that I just don’t know what Id do if I ever lost you.” He stopped and looked into her eyes like he was searching for something. “Zephyr, I love you.”
A smile spread across her face. “I love you , too.”
Her smile faded from her face and her eyes got wide as he dropped to one knee taking her claw in his hand. She looked around wondering if this was really happening of is she was dreaming and then looked back at him. He pulled a golden tail ring out of his pocket and it shone brightly in the moonlight.
“Zephyr.”
She was finding that it was getting hard to breathe. Her breath coming in gasps. Her mouth became unbearably dry but her eyes were filled with tears threatening to overflow. “Yes?” she managed to get out and bit her lip.
“Will you marry me?” He looked at her as she stood in silence. A single bead of sweat broke on his forehead. The clouds seemed to move faster in a circle and the stars twinkled at them as she caught her breath and nodded with the tears streaming from her eyes.
“Yes, Oainix, yes!” She fell down to her knees and hugged him. He hugged her back and stood up, pulling her to her feet he picked her up and swung her around in the air. He set her back on her feet and held out his claw. She shyly placed her tail in his claw. Oainix unhinged it and clasped it around her tail. It slid to the end and stopped at the tuft. It fit, perfectly.
“How did you know my size?”
He smiled at her, “Well I had some help. It was too big at first, woulda just flew off the second you took off, but Grio owed me a favor and he knows about these kind of things.”
Zephyr raised her eyebrows. “So that’s what he was working on when I saw him. It must have cost you a fortune.”
“Well, you’re worth a lot more to me than that is. That’s just a representation of my love and I only want the best for you. Anyway,” he picked her up off her feet and carried her towards her house, “I’m glad you didn’t insist on finding out what he was working on. That would have ruined the surprise. He came close enough to letting it slip out by himself.”
Zephyr wrapped her arms around his shoulders and kissed his neck lightly.
“Hey.” He smiled at her, “You better watch out. We might not make it home if you keep doing that.”
A sly look crossed her face as she said, “That might not be so bad.” She grinned as she nipped at his neck knowing that it drove him crazy. All the feathers on his neck stood on end as he lowered her to her feet. She touched down on her own porch. With one hand he lifted her chin and kissed her lips. A soft sigh escaped her lips as he pulled her close to his body. She could feel his heart beating against hers and she wanted to feel him even closer.
Oainix smoothly opened the door behind her, never breaking their bond. They both slipped silently backwards through the door and closed it behind them, locking it and closing out the rest of the world for the night.

I'll type up and post chapter three tomorrow guys :)