View Single Post
Sugiza
gotta get a grip

Old 02-19-2018, 11:18 PM

A few ticks of the clock passed while the younger latina girl stared into Daniel's eye before she introduced herself. The tactic must have worked, as his attention shifted away to the police chief with no further antagonization. "I see." His response was curt, and his voice deep yet strangely hoarse. "Chief, I told you that I don't need a partner." The shaggy-haired man seemed to pointedly ignore the new blood, as if she wasn't worthy of respect.

"Well, I think you do. You haven't made any headway in the last two months."

"I'm close. Just give me a bit more ti-"

"I understand that you're grieving." The police chief cut the veteran off, and he fell silent. "But, right now, you have a job to do. I'm assigning you and Rubino together for a reason. Do you comprehend?"

The last few words fell like a ton of bricks onto the tall, well-built officer. His good eye shifted towards her again, this time showing clear hints of resentment. "...Got it." Daniel's voice was resigned as he pulled a chair out from the desk and sat next to the young officer. As if on cue, the police commissioner produced a manilla folder from his desk and pushed it in front of the two, and Daniel's broad hand shifted it open.

"The Falcone." He began, gesturing over a series of photos in the folder. "One of the largest crime syndicates in the western hemisphere. Base of operations in Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, London, and Madrid. They've only been making moves here since two years ago. We're not sure of the extent of their activity, but according to our stool pigeon, we've got them on prostitution, gambling, racketeering... smuggling, distributing and manufacturing of illegal substances... kidnapping, extortion, child labor and organized murder." He took a deep breath, flipping the page to show a smattering of explicit photographs of various crime scenes and busts across the country. "We haven't managed to convict a single member since they arrived here. Witnesses turn up dead. Evidence goes missing. Officers resign. We're dealing with a different animal here. That's why I've been working this job alone -- the fewer men you have on a case like this one, the fewer weak links in the chain. Any questions?"