View Single Post
Libra
the Galaxy Fairy
Mini Pixelite

Old 02-13-2014, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuvrette View Post
hmm? I read Florinana's wall of text. I hope I am being responsive enough for you earlier in your thread? I didn't notice any rant in your thread.... O___O -the horror~-

Hilarlar~ I have three different critique modes to choose from~ sugar coat, CSI and brutal. >3 All without graphic though.
I'm sure you were at the beginning. There was a point where I was posting quite a bit of stuff and not as many were commenting is all. And then I got paranoid that it was because I had put up a note saying "Don't give feedback if you can't show me a picture or tell me how to improve it." It's all good though ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilarbees View Post
Preview? Here's the idea:

Ok! So I have decided to take a closer look at this one and make some comments about it.

First off, I really like the idea of the jelly dress (that's my official nickname for it now ^_^). Its fun, and we don't have a whole lot of clothing that are shaped like animals or objects. Right now we have objects, animals, and clothing with animal/objects on them, but I can't think of a dress that is shaped like an animal or anything. Definitely keep in mind the possibility of detaching the top of the dress from the skirt. The skirt would look so awesome with some shell bras that we have around!

So here is an overview of what I took a closer look at:

I'm gonna hit some of the things that could mostly be improved on the piece, and in depth ways to make them better. First, I'll start with the shoulder.

I find the straps to be interesting. They look a bit like lace? Or perhaps some straps with a bit of sharp folds on the sides? Either way, they're are several ways to improve these:
1)Smooth out the edges. This image depicts what I mean with the black block that I added.
2)Take out the center colors from the straps/sleeves, making them appear more like lace. This is also depicted in the image above, with the disappearance of the blue.
3) Replace the lacey look with a strap that is similar to the belt. I love the blue beady/pearliness of the belt and I think it would look awesome on the straps.

The next thing I noticed is how your shading the folds of the jelly skirt. Right now, it looks pillow shaded. Whenever you're pixeling skirts, you have to decide whether the folds are gonna be soft or hard. Soft folds have a bit more spacing between each shade, while hard folds often will have the highlight of one fold up against the dark part of another fold. Here are some examples:

SPOILERX

Hard Folds:

Soft Folds:

All dolls are linked to their rightful owners.

I'd suggest studying these, even practice doing a similar shading style whichever one you like best. As long as you don't copy the exact arrangement of pixels in the shading, then you'll be good.

I also made a little tutorial of the visual difference between shading based on a light reference, and pillow shading.

Try to keep the highlights closer to the side of the light reference (On mene avi's, its the direction they are facing).

And last but not least, the lonely sideways tentacle (or whatever it is called). Since that part of the jellyfish are typically flat, I'd suggest making more of them to look like this, to keep a fluid look to the whole skirt.

Sorry about the GIGANTIC post