Thread: "Transracial"?
View Single Post
Crimson Fang
*^_^*
Send a message via AIM to Crimson Fang Send a message via MSN to Crimson Fang

Old 12-01-2017, 02:53 AM

Edit: I am pretty much editing my entire post for better clarity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstahh` View Post
I suppose. I just don't understand it fully. :< mom took us to Mexico one year so my sister could try out real mexican food, my sister was not amused. Its not like anyone knew we took a trip to mexico, it was just supposed to be a cruise. but my sister, not amused.
If she really is determined to avoid identification as Mexican, her not being amused can make sense. With marginalized ethnic groups we often find members wishing to distance themselves from the stigmatized identities. This can also result in the person in question sharing negative feelings towards the ethnic identity in question. For instance among Indigenous peoples who have undergone colonialism we will find instances of people who share in the activity of negatively stigmatizing their identity. This happened here in New Zealand with many Maori feeling that their Maori "attributes" made them "primitive", "backwards" or "uncivilized." This was outside of legislative efforts as these undercurrents have continued on into current political discourse. While the overt form of it is much less common now, we still find mention in the political dialogue of Maori being "uncivilized." At this point I would hasten to mention I am not at all placing any blame on Maori who continue to the perpetuation of their stigmatization. There were numerous political factors which contributed to it. That is where I would place the primary source of cause. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I hold that ethnicity, and race, are sociopolitical constructions. I would also add that it is not purely "Inidgenous" peoples that experience that. We have also witnessed it happening in places such as China and among immigrants.

The notion of passing itself is also not so recent. Cross-culturally we have seen this being worked into societies. In Rwanda for instance, prior to their colonialism there were means through which one could change one's "ethnicity". This came from it not being perceived purely in biological terms, but rather economic factors played a role. There was a process through which one could accumulate the necessary "capital" and ultimately go from being Hutu to Tutsi. We have seen the same dynamics playing out in Western Sudan and even in the Western World. Especially given our recent the concept of nation really is.

Quote:
But yes, I guess in that light (your post above, sorry may have gotten sidetracked...meh deleted some stuff that wasn't really relevant) I can see why she does it. If it grants you privileges you otherwise would not have, I can see someone doing so. "Passing" is something that can be greatly important as to not make yourself a target for racists and jerks.
It's not even entirely that. Through enculturation and embodiment people can acquire these stigmatized views themselves. It isn't so passive though and through active effort people can resist it. For instance with people attempting to "reconnect" with their "ethnicity." It can be quite sad to hear about people feeling their heritage has been stolen from them because their parents refused to expose them to it as children. Especially as it is common for this to happen because the parents truly believe they are doing what is needed to secure a positive future for their children.

Quote:
Again though, I wish we could all just meld together and not have race be an issue at all. It breaks my heart that people would think* they have to change their race to fit in.
I definitely agree with the sentiment here. I don't know if we need to get rid of it. But it definitely needs to be something which is not used to disenfranchise people.

Quote:
ps if none of this makes sense i woke up from a bad dream and took pain meds before bed because i'm waiting on surgery and gallstones suck
so...ask my to clarify anything if you want.
If it makes you feel any better my thoughts are usually muddled and I don't use meds. I do hope you are feeling better now though. I am not sure how long the recovery process is.

Quote:
I also want to note that aside from my previous post, I've never "outed" my sister as part-mexican before, because I did understand that she...at the very least resented her birth parents (she has 9 older siblings, whom her parents kept, whereas I was the oldest child of a single mother).
I think that is incredibly considerate of you as well. Especially as you mention you don't get along as it is. From a more hypocritical and different perspective, I can understand her resentment. I have no interest in meeting or knowing who my biological father is, but if I found out he had children he had raised I would be very resentful.

Attempting to tie things together, as I don't have any idea who my biological father is. I grew up knowing nothing about him. As such, being White, I had no reason to think about my ethnicity. I perceive myself as Pakeha, I have always been perceived as such, and therefore I am. Upon learning, as an adult, that my biological father is Maori this consequently had negligible impact on how I identify. Even when a friend and co-worker made the assertion, it was one which I out of hand rejected. I have no connection either in my lived experiences now in my social relations which could establish me as Maori. I have never had to face the stigma. While it is an increasingly mocked phrase, I have had privilege as a Pakeha. This is something which I feel I would effectively be denying if I was to claim myself as being Maori. Indeed this is part of what makes the case of Rachel Dolezal so offensive. Criticism which has been rightly directed at her for the way she erases the reality of racial discrimination and marginalization that black people face in U.S.A. Indeed Ava has already astutely made that argument.
Quote:
Also I worry a LOT about cultural appropriation.
One of my friends is all like "omg you should get dreads!!" and my response was "I don't want to offend anyone" and she looked like I slapped her in the face (she is a proud biracial woman who does locking for a living. People travel hours to have their hair done by her).
I was just so worried that someone would accuse me of trying to steal from another culture. That's never my intention. My intention is typically to appreciate. And I can appreciate it from over here, looking at all the pretty/different/historical/etc things these different people want to share on the internet. I don't feel the need to emulate it, its not mine to do w/ as I please.
Once more agreeing with Ava, intent and impact definitely matter. Ava's brilliant example of World Hijab Day as being a positive instance. I would also offer our national's sports teams use of the Haka as another positive example. Indeed we have seen this spreading to Pacific Island teams as well. the Cook Island, Tongan and Samoan teams also utilize their cultural displays in their pregame rituals. However I also agree with you that there has been a really negative history. In a later post you identify this. Indeed the problem has been that the marginalized group in person faces sanctions for the cultural display, whereas when someone from the hegemonic ethnic group does so they get affirmation. This is really problematic. Another area where this has been troubling has been where people can actually profit off of this appropriation. Companies and corporations have managed to find ways to turn a profit while the marginalized groups in question are still sanctioned for it.

Last edited by Crimson Fang; 12-02-2017 at 12:46 AM..