View Single Post
Frog
⊙ω⊙

Old 06-30-2007, 03:31 AM

The thing is, we're viewing this from Harry's perspective. While we don't get crazy rants from his conscience, we don't get the omniscient view of JKR's world, either. We know what Harry knows, and even though he may be The Chosen One, he's still a kid. He knows what the war is about, he knows what he has to do, but he doesn't know much at all.

Remember what Dumbledore said in the first book? About death being the next great adventure to the well-organised mind. Dumbledore just doesn't sound like the sort of man to be afraid of death -- and, after being alive for so long, his mind pretty much has to be well-organised or in complete disaster mode. He seems the type to organise things well, anyway.

So what if he were being literal? What if death really is an adventure? In the wizarding world, the only way you can bring back the dead is via Inferi (and vampires, I guess.) Even then, their souls don't come with the deal. So what if they're off helping the living, chit-chatting with other dead spirits? It's a huge leap, but it's possible. I guess.

If that's the case, Dumbledore could want to die to contact those who knew things, and were killed because of it. I have no idea how he'd actually transfer his knowledge to the living... but he's all-powerful, you see. He's Dumbledore; anything's possible. ;D

I don't think that Snape truly hated Dumbledore. As I said, we're viewing things from Harry's (limited) POV -- whenever he's around Snape, things get ugly. I'm not saying that Snape's the kind to chuck daisies every which way, but we don't see Snape and Dumbledore alone together. All we have is what Hagrid overheard, and there's a big difference between hatred and arguing.

You kill the head honcho if the head honcho wants to be killed. Let's face it, in the eyes of an ordinary person both Dumbledore AND Voldemort are pretty loopy.

You make a good point, MRA. But the thing is, we've come to expect the unexpected from JKR. If we're dismissing every theory as "too obvious", there's a chance it'll be the truth, just to spite us. Of course, the truth is more than likely going to be something no one's even dreamed of... but, well. That's not the point. :P

Shh. Stop using logic against me.

I agree with Kale when it comes to the "Snape hates Dumbledore" thing. Snape both hates, and doesn't hate, Dumbledore at the same time... which isn't confusing at all, of course.

Also, I'm aware that we're probably not supposed to pull an entire semi-Universe out of our bums for the purpose of debating a character's want of death. But, er. Ignore that.